Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 PM

Default Huskemaw problems?

A friend of mine just bought a new huskemaw. I was going to do the same thing but he is having trouble getting the turret to actually match the appropriate yardage all the way out so I thought I'd ask for some thoughts and advice here first.
Now he is very knowledgable with his reloads and the info he provided but the turrets he got made up have been incorrect. He provided all the info including the exact clicks for each interval all the way out to 1000 yards but he was told that the data is essentially built off a computer program and not by all the appropriate clicks. They need a start,mid range and the end range and the rest is calibrated according to the computer ( including the rest of info bc,speed etc). Now so far all 5 times he's received new turrets there is only a few that actually match to the number on the turret. So he has said f&$k it and just made his own marks on the turret so he knows where it is exactly shooting.
All of this is fine he knows where his gun is shooting and it works but I have a few concerns and questions. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Can it to built to exact click value provided? And if they are all done this way I guarantee there will a lot of missed shots by guys believing they are sighted in especially if you don't spend the time to shoot to verify at all ranges.
Lol long winded I know but thanks for any info provided even if you tell me to buy something else...)
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM

-Billy Molls
Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 PM

Ugh...

Yes they can match click to drop within a given tollerence, the spaces between your range marks on the turrents is there tollerence tho

Nothing will ever beat a range book with detailed click values for a given load tuned to a specific rifle... No matter what you see on best of the west...
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 PM

MOA/mil turrets and a verified drop chart is still the only way to roll...
Old 02-27-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
A friend of mine just bought a new huskemaw. I was going to do the same thing but he is having trouble getting the turret to actually match the appropriate yardage all the way out so I thought I'd ask for some thoughts and advice here first.
Now he is very knowledgable with his reloads and the info he provided but the turrets he got made up have been incorrect. He provided all the info including the exact clicks for each interval all the way out to 1000 yards but he was told that the data is essentially built off a computer program and not by all the appropriate clicks. They need a start,mid range and the end range and the rest is calibrated according to the computer ( including the rest of info bc,speed etc). Now so far all 5 times he's received new turrets there is only a few that actually match to the number on the turret. So he has said f&$k it and just made his own marks on the turret so he knows where it is exactly shooting.
All of this is fine he knows where his gun is shooting and it works but I have a few concerns and questions. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Can it to built to exact click value provided? And if they are all done this way I guarantee there will a lot of missed shots by guys believing they are sighted in especially if you don't spend the time to shoot to verify at all ranges.
Lol long winded I know but thanks for any info provided even if you tell me to buy something else...)
temp/elevation he's at/muzzle velocity/& TRUE bc are important for that all to work.. you have to be absolutely sure that's all correct* The turret will match yardages exactly, no bs... once the first one is done correct, at "same" elevations (+/-) couple hundred feet, the turret won't be more than one click out for every 20degrees temp fluctuation --- those are the numbers, I shoot mine alot*

What you do, is tell buddy to check the click value printed on-top of those turrets.. the 5-20's are geared for the .33 value & the 3-12's are .36 ...if accidentally one or the other (wrong one) was grabbed and burnt, even including his drops in the ballistics-program won't matter.. I had that-very mix-up in my own case. Make sure the right click value (one of the two mentioned, for whichever scopes case) is being used in the computer program AND then burnt onto a matching turret!!!

I'll guarantee it's something minor..

also** as far as the drops go at close/mid range, use them as a guide if putting the data together yourself (juggling BC to match curve) focus on only your farthest proven drops (ex: 40 clicks at 800/hit) to punch into the ballistic program... punch that all in, w/temp, elev, muzzvel, etc THEN look at your close/mid range data and see how things conincide!
...from there, if those are out some, adjust your BC however neccesary (normally lower some) to closely as possibly match your original close/mid data

That farthest confirmed data is most crucial.. once you've got the velocity and temp pinned-down proper!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
MOA/mil turrets and a verified drop chart is still the only way to roll...
What he said.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:07 AM

turrents with husky are little hard to work with we have so many differences here in canada temp is one huge factor hence using powder that is temp stable at longer ranges its not hard to miss judge few inchs my scope and set up is being done by corlanes it should match up pretty close to my area and temps will let you once its back how it shoots
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM

Mine was set up by corlanes and its awesome. Pretty accurate
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks guys I really appreciate your insight and experiences
Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Default Turrets

Talked to my buddy and his turrets are all the .36 and should be .33?!!
He going to phone tomorrow and see what they say where he bought it.
Thanks again
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 PM

Default Turret

Ask your bud if he has the cd came with the scope. It will tell him how to enter everything on the sheet that he can download. Shouldn't have anymore troubles if he follows the steps.