Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Default Indoor Archery Range Backstop

Hey guys got another quick question specifically targetted at those that own indoor ranges. A few of my buddies and I are looking at standing up an archery club as part of the CFB Wainwright Gun Club. We have access to an indoor facility that we think can safely accomodate 8 lanes out to 30 yds. The problem we are having is a safe backstop. Only caveat is it has to be able to be torn down every time as the building is a multi-use facility. I have been looking at the Spiderwebz targets that are 48 inch by 48 inch and putting them on a wheeled base with a plywood frame around them. We were also looking at the drop down netting as a backstop but I am not sure they are well suited to compound bows cranking out top end speeds. Might be good as a backup but.... Anyways, we are trying to get this off the ground to give all the military and civilian shooters a decent place to shoot in the off season with multiple lanes. Any info and thoughts would be invaluable in helping to get this off the ground. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 AM

Since the 300 plus FPS bows most of the poor netting doesnt stand a chance and they whizzz thru with ease...they work well with the slower youth bows thou...

the newer bow will penertrate even 3/4 inch plywood..and is not so user friendly but at least it stops the arrow

when we had the club there in several different buildings like the old indoor pistol range even the 1" of rubber back stop and net combined wouldnt slow the arrows down...

regardless of the backstop somebody will shoot the ceiling and walls ...lol

the 48" Spiders will be awesome targets if Keep the range down to 18M/20Yd and that will reduce strays

Wish you luck with the club...

Neil
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM

Neil,

Thanks. Of course it is never easy with military folks swapping out so often to get something like this off the ground AND to survive the posting seasons. BUT we're going to give it the old college try.

Hopefully, the strays that do hit walls etc don't do too much to the building, if so that may be the end of the club. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM

I used layers of old carpet growing up. Don't know how it will work for club setting but it's cheap and easily replaceable. We draped it over a frame we built. I think 6-8 layers is what we used.
Think of the ambiance you could create with some nice orange shag!
Brad
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM

The limiting thing is it needs to be real easy to put up and torn down every night. We are looking for some easy solutions that fit this bill. Not saying it can't be done with carpet but I think it might take a bit more time. Thanks for the option though, a super sweet shag would add to the feel of the place.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Hey Batten - I was involved with that club as the quasi-president back in the day (1996 - 2003). We had 6 or 7 of the big 4x4 closed cell foam targets (can't remember the brand name). We also had a whole crowd of 3D critters (elk / bear / deer / turkey etc etc.)

As Neil mentioned, we were shooting at the indoor pistol range at the 3Ds with those 4x4 screens behind. There was also a great big net that we had to hang behind everything. If the arrow missed the critter, it normally hit the screen, and if it missed the screen the net took most of the jam out of the arrow enough for the rubber matting to stop it.

In the summer months, we had everything stored in the shack located at the outdoor pistol range by the RSMs cabin, and we shot there as well.

When I left we turned everything over to the PSP staff. Drop me a PM if you like. Unless someone else picked up the torch, that stuff should still be around somewhere?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM

Dcutter, thanks for the info. Sadly in my current position I can't take it over but have told the fellas that I am willing to assist and am just doing some research for the club. All of the 3-D's and big targets have been located along with the netting. Right now in the process of figuring out an indoor solution as well as outdoors in the same area. Funny how some things never change.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM

I'm going to have a look and see if I still have all the documentation I wrote up when I was there. I had Range SO's as well as rules for a 3D shoot we tried to get off the ground. If I can find any of it, I will send you a message and will fwd it.

Good Luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Thats the problem ..everyones wants to do it but nobody but one or two do all the work !! The military guys usually have too much on their plates..

Neil
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM

Truer words have never been spoken, Neil. However, we are going to take a stab at it. I agree that we have a lot on the plate, but I guess we'll have to add some more. I am sure we'll be in touch. Mark
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM

the CFB gagetown archery club has big target stands that get wheeled out when in use, maybe contacting them will give you ideas
Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batten231 View Post
Truer words have never been spoken, Neil. However, we are going to take a stab at it. I agree that we have a lot on the plate, but I guess we'll have to add some more. I am sure we'll be in touch. Mark
do that mark I will help out as much as I can...

Neil