Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Banned

Default Precautioning your children???

What measures do you take in precautioning and protecting your children in these modern times???

When I was a kid...I could walk freely around Vancouver and not stress.

Not like nowadays where children are at risk even in public parks in broad daylight.

I remember a story from a few yrs ago where a little 8yr old girl went into a public park restroom and a stranger tried to accaust her....she got away...but so did the perp.

Many too many stories like this these days....It's scary

Who can you entrust your child's safety too??

Last edited by MtnGiant; 02-03-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:25 PM

"These days.."?? That term has been used for generations. I don't see it any more prevalent now than 30 years ago. Remember Michael Dunahee? That was 27 years ago, broad daylight, among dozens of people in a park, and there were all kinds of "missing kids" just like him.

If anything, there are better ways to prevent sudden kidnappings now, with instant Amber alerts, etc. Technology, CCTV cameras, everyone having a camera/videocam in their pockets.

Every parent teaches the standard "don't talk to/take candy from strangers" routine...after that you'll just worry yourself sick thinking "what if...."

I grew up in Vancouver's East End...there was just as much danger then as there is now.

I try to stay away from the whole "chicken little" attitude that seems so prevalent now.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 02-03-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post

What measures do you take in precautioning and protecting your children in these modern times??? . . .
Pretty much the same measures my parents took in the 'olden' times.

See Dave's post (#2) for details.

TF
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
"These days.."?? That term has been used for generations. I don't see it any more prevalent now than 30 years ago. Remember Michael Dunahee? That was 27 years ago, broad daylight, among dozens of people in a park, and there were all kinds of "missing kids" just like him.

If anything, there are better ways to prevent sudden kidnappings now, with instant Amber alerts, etc. Technology, CCTV cameras, everyone having a camera/videocam in their pockets.

Every parent teaches the standard "don't talk to/take candy from strangers" routine...after that you'll just worry yourself sick thinking "what if...."

I grew up in Vancouver's East End...there was just as much danger then as there is now.

I try to stay away from the whole "chicken little" attitude that seems so prevalent now.
Ya..East Van was a tuff neighborhood....and still is....agreed.
But I still see an alarming diff from 40yrs ago to now.
Or maybe it's just what I see???
I didnt get the parental talks that kids nowadays get.
I've moved from Van to BC's interior to AB to get away from it....aint found it yet.
A tropical place to retire is on the list.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 PM

Statistically, I think kids are safer on the streets now then they've ever been. It's just parents are now more paranoid then ever.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Statistically, I think kids are safer on the streets now then they've ever been. It's just parents are now more paranoid then ever.
Sometimes called 'Paranoid Parenting' or 'Helicopter Parenting'. I'm sure there are other terms for it as well.

I've seen it happen ... it can make a kid's childhood pure hell

TF
Old 02-03-2013, 03:10 PM

Yep, the streets are safer than ever now. It's the garbage on TV that convinces people otherwise. I don't do much to "precaution" my kids. I had a chat with them once about running like hell if someone ever approached them, and that's it.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 PM

Bad things happening to kids is just covered by the press these days so people are more aware stuff is going on. Kind of like the reporting on gun crime. Stuff gets to much coverage people think it's on the rise. We much like the kids are safer today than we were 4 decades ago.

That being said an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure. Gavin Debecker's book "The Gift of Fear" is a good read" so is "Protecting the Gift".
Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Banned

Bubble wrap

Jamie
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM

My biggest concern about 'bubble-wrapped' kids is how much of life they will miss out on by being made fearful. Speaking with strangers, making risk assessments, testing capabilities and personal limits are all character building elements in life.
No wonder there's an epidemic of single 20 & 30 year olds still living with their parents. They think it's a scary world out there.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Or maybe it's just what I see???
Thats the difference, last few generations have been socially engineered to believe it is a terrible place out there. It's no worse than it ever was except today when it happens it is all over the media and repetitiously pounded into or heads, parents are chastized and blamed for allowing it to happen to their children. Parents are so paranoid they hover over their kids and rob them of the freedom of exploring and learning the world on their own. Our children are deprived of the experience of making their own decisions and discovering the world around them on their own.

Back in the day we didn't place blame on the parent for bad things happening to children outside the home, we blamed the monsters who were doing it. We're a society living in fear conjured up by media, gov't and legal system that transfers blame onto the victims and their parents. Social policy that lets the perpertrators off the hook and minimizes their actions, gives them special treatment that victims don't get and then lets them go back out there to do it again.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Thats the difference, last few generations have been socially engineered to believe it is a terrible place out there. It's no worse than it ever was except today when it happens it is all over the media and repetitiously pounded into or heads, parents are chastized and blamed for allowing it to happen to their children. Parents are so paranoid they hover over their kids and rob them of the freedom of exploring and learning the world on their own. Our children are deprived of the experience of making their own decisions and discovering the world around them on their own.

Back in the day we didn't place blame on the parent for bad things happening to children outside the home, we blamed the monsters who were doing it. We're a society living in fear conjured up by media, gov't and legal system that transfers blame onto the victims and their parents. Social policy that lets the perpertrators off the hook and minimizes their actions, gives them special treatment that victims don't get and then lets them go back out there to do it again.
Good arguement and possibly ur right....maybe I will have to re-examine my thoughts and do some more investigation....but for now....I still dont see it as I look back on my last 48yrs of living. I'm not trying to start a conflict....but I cant help what I have experienced first hand along with the thousands of people I have met along the way. But the consensus on here it quite clear to me.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
No wonder there's an epidemic of single 20 & 30 year olds still living with their parents. They think it's a scary world out there.
Nope, it's not.

There's not usually a catch all for that phenomena. Usually it's a mix of debt, high cost of living, low income jobs, and the fact that mom will still cook meals and do the laundry and make the beds of the child.

The ones that I knew like that usually had two or three degrees that cost them 100k and left them with call Centre jobs. Seem we're good and paid down the loans, others bought toys with the money they'd otherwise have to spend on rent.

Usually, I just found that it seemed a lot easier to let mom take care of them.

Just like the days she would bubblewrap them before they went to school

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 AM

A great web site: http://www.freerangekids.com/

I found the quote below:

"Fighting the belief that our children are in constant danger from creeps, kidnapping, germs, grades, flashers, frustration, failure, baby snatchers, bugs, bullies, men, sleepovers and/or the perils of a non-organic grape."

Don
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM

The reality is that most children are harmed by people they know, such as relatives and friends....coaches, religious people etc.... those who are in positions of trust/authority.

Very few cases of random people kidnapping children.

how many are harmed by their step parent or even their parent?

Look at all the deaths of chiildren under 10 in the Edmonton area, how many were committed by strangers or by peple in estranged relationships... like the nutburger lady that drowned her kids and then threw herself off of too low of an overpass... or the fellow who had custody for a weekend and killed his children and himself...way too many occurences...

A person can't put their head in the sand, nor can they bubble wrap or helicopter parent....

I have seen how parents have so few kids today because of the "expense" and then because they have all their eggs in one basket they want to change the basket into a cage.

Not syaing to have more and consider them "expendble" but have more so that the kids can look after each other and help each other out more...

It like with bear safety, your chances of an attack go down when you have a larger group...

In fact i think per capita we ar much better topday than in past it is just we hear about it more...
Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 AM

There is only one major factor I believe that has changed.... The Internet.

If you think about it.

sorry I think 3 things have thrown a wrench into the gears, since the 70's

Computers.

Credit Cards (a few "business" types had them like travelling salesmen)

Women working.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
A great web site: http://www.freerangekids.com/

I found the quote below:

"Fighting the belief that our children are in constant danger from creeps, kidnapping, germs, grades, flashers, frustration, failure, baby snatchers, bugs, bullies, men, sleepovers and/or the perils of a non-organic grape."

Don
Thanks for that ^ link Don!

I know a few young families that I'll pass it on to.

And I see there's an article on there about 'guns' too! Can't believe Rocky missed it!

TF
Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
What measures do you take in precautioning and protecting your children in these modern times???

When I was a kid...I could walk freely around Vancouver and not stress.

Not like nowadays where children are at risk even in public parks in broad daylight.

I remember a story from a few yrs ago where a little 8yr old girl went into a public park restroom and a stranger tried to accaust her....she got away...but so did the perp.

Many too many stories like this these days....It's scary

Who can you entrust your child's safety too??
The biggest thing to do is set up a code word. If something goes wrong and someone is sent to get them or meet them then they need to keep backing up until they hear the code word. The whole never talk to strangers...the come see my puppy or my puppy is sick and needs help etc.

Kids need to be street smartened. Think for themselves...not believe every adult will tell them the truth.

And if something made them feel uncomfortable...it is wrong NOT to tell and will be praised FOR telling.