Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
My vote for worst cartridge might be the venerable .303 British and not so much for its effectiveness on game (I still sort of have a love hate relationship with it), but for the thousands of wore out surplus rifles that couldn't hit a VW bug at 20 paces. I found it tough to reload for and hard on brass, but again that was likely the invidual rifle I had.
I never knew that those old surplus rifles wore out that bad? I never had one because they were cheap and I was a bit of a snob I have seen a few good kills with them and heard of many more. Usually C.I.L. Sabre tips! I think that if one is able to handle their less than hair like trigger, most are quite accurate. Must be an individual rifle thing?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I never knew that those old surplus rifles wore out that bad? I never had one because they were cheap and I was a bit of a snob I have seen a few good kills with them and heard of many more. Usually C.I.L. Sabre tips! I think that if one is able to handle their less than hair like trigger, most are quite accurate. Must be an individual rifle thing?
Wore out is maybe a bad choice of words. Let's go with abused, neglected, and "bubba'ed".
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Never shot a 7mm Rem Mag with a 160 or 175 grain partition? What about monolithics? It's really not that much different than a 30-06, .270, or .300 mag in that regard (shots at close range). You could say the same thing about any cartridge with the wrong bullet. Good bullets make the 7mm Rem Mag one of the most versatile and effective cartridges available for the N.A. big game hunter. Hands down.

My vote for worst cartridge might be the venerable .303 British and not so much for its effectiveness on game (I still sort of have a love hate relationship with it), but for the thousands of wore out surplus rifles that couldn't hit a VW bug at 20 paces. I found it tough to reload for and hard on brass, but again that was likely the invidual rifle I had.

I am pretty sure that the 303 combined with a 30-30 have killed more animals in this country than any other caliber. 7mm is my favorite, and my least favorite would be a 243. A 243 is accountable for more wounded animals than anything else. There is too many folk running around thinking just because it's legal they can use it on moose, elk.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
The 44-40 is a pistol cartridge.... not designed for 100+ yard shots on critters. Just saying.

Not going to comment on your pink tapout shirt...
....Winchester produced a lot of lever guns chamberd in that cartridge... Pink tap out shirt? Nope, I prefer the old fashioned way... Roofiecolada

Quote:
Or how he uses skill and experiance to get laid. But im sure the 300mag helps.
Actually no but a Cooey 64 and a .303 British have both got me laid... Funny how the "ever shoot a gun? Want to?" Line works in Calgary... Take em to homestead range and stop at the interpretive center... Nice view point up there :grin: ..... Guns and boyfriends who play too much Warcraft have spread more STD's then you would ever imagin

S.I.N.G.L.E

Stay
Intoxicated
Nightly
Get
Laid
Everyday
Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 PM

Worst hunting caliber?
The caliber of person behind the trigger.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Spoken like a true .300 mag shooter

.300 mags are like Tapout shirts. Sure not every guy rocking one is a douchbag but its often enough to lead to that type of generalization.
Haha the kernel of truth. I shouldn't be laughing I probably fall into that boat (minus the Tapout shirts)
Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Worst hunting caliber?
The caliber of person behind the trigger.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Best answer so far, IMO.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM

Why not poke the hornets nest!

I hate the .270......dont have anything against the caliber...just that it has rabid fans.....mention you have a bigger gun and they get all...."I have a chevette...do you have a problem with that??!!!.....I'm not afraid of you...I'll take you down, right buddies?? " Mention you have a 6.5 or .243 and they get all...."Phsssttppp! Why so puny....my chevette will smoke your piece of junk??!! "

Mention that you like a bigger caliber and these .270 fans go ballistically sideways and get all bent......sort of like they have an inferiority complex and need to prove something......right Cal?.....tapout shirts...really?

So really, I dont have a problem with the .270....just the attitudes behind it.

The other caliber that I cant understand is Weatherby......why so damn expensive bullets.....dont think they have 3X the brass or powder or lead in them.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 PM

my vote is for the .458 win.

I think its owned by more "african safari wannabe's" or grizzly paranoid fanatics then folks that would actually use it for alaska or africa hunting, though, Iva also never shot one myself, but ive heard its not as friendly on the shoulder as the other mags or short action calibers.

Having said that Id still take a free one to put in the safe. I dont know there is really a caliber out there that I hate, I'd love to have one of each to have first hand experience with.

I dont think anyone on here really dislikes a caliber, I think they just dislike people who shoot them more than anything else.

The tapout comment would be case in point.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 AM

I have shot a few and the biggest mess I have seen is with the .30-378 wby mag and the 25-06 remington.......what a mess..
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

Can't say what the worst is but the .303 with a 180 grain soft point is the best! Had one for twenty years n it's never failed me. It's not the cartridge that ya use, it's where ya put the bullet.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Why not poke the hornets nest!

I hate the .270......dont have anything against the caliber...just that it has rabid fans.....mention you have a bigger gun and they get all...."I have a chevette...do you have a problem with that??!!!.....I'm not afraid of you...I'll take you down, right buddies?? " Mention you have a 6.5 or .243 and they get all...."Phsssttppp! Why so puny....my chevette will smoke your piece of junk??!! "

Mention that you like a bigger caliber and these .270 fans go ballistically sideways and get all bent......sort of like they have an inferiority complex and need to prove something......right Cal?.....tapout shirts...really?

So really, I dont have a problem with the .270....just the attitudes behind it.

The other caliber that I cant understand is Weatherby......why so damn expensive bullets.....dont think they have 3X the brass or powder or lead in them.
I have a '98 Camry...do you have a problem with that??!!!.....I'm not afraid of you...

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.