Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 AM

Default Sausage Sunday!

Well my favourite time of year has finally arrived! A successful stalk has provided me with a beautiful mature doe. And now she has graced me with a start to my sausage making season. Fresh, smoke, summer and jerky tis thine goal for this frosty Sunday morn. There is a grand feeling in processing an animal from start to finish that leaves a man/woman with a primal pleasure. We all should be thankful for the bounty of the great outdoors, and treat our dear Mother Earth with respect she demands. Good luck to my fellow hunters in this time of wonder.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 AM
AvayaAce

Just on my way out to Balzac to wrap the 350 lbs of susage we did up yesterday. Non game variety, just a 50/50 beef and pork mix with a ton of fresh garlic and pepper. It was in the cold smoker for the past 12 hours.........yummy
Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Mmmm cold smoke. What was your wood choices.homemade smoker?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:24 PM

We will be casing sausage (40 lb) tonight and smoke tomorrow. 1/4 mule deer and 3/4 pork shoulders.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
Well my favourite time of year has finally arrived! A successful stalk has provided me with a beautiful mature doe. And now she has graced me with a start to my sausage making season. Fresh, smoke, summer and jerky tis thine goal for this frosty Sunday morn. There is a grand feeling in processing an animal from start to finish that leaves a man/woman with a primal pleasure. We all should be thankful for the bounty of the great outdoors, and treat our dear Mother Earth with respect she demands. Good luck to my fellow hunters in this time of wonder.
Very well said. There are very few thing I find more satisfying then sitting down with my family for a meal that has been shot, cared for and processed with my own two hands.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 PM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
Mmmm cold smoke. What was your wood choices.homemade smoker?
We did hickory pucks and fed them through a automatic feeder throughout the night. Home made smoker, big enough for three racks perside...it smoked all 300 lbs at capacity.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 PM

Have not read the thread but Sausage Sunday is a good idea.

Weenie Wednesdays and Frankfurter Fridays are also on the list of house hold celebrations! How can she say no it's a holiday!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvayaAce View Post
We did hickory pucks and fed them through a automatic feeder throughout the night. Home made smoker, big enough for three racks perside...it smoked all 300 lbs at capacity.
Are you cooking them after a cold smoke? I will be smoking sausages tomorrow, i get them to 160F inside.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 AM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
Are you cooking them after a cold smoke? I will be smoking sausages tomorrow, i get them to 160F inside.
WE cook them after and often too

BBQ, poached in the oven, or boiled in water.........all good!