Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2012, 05:44 PM

Default "Rescue Dogs"

Why the #%%&&!!% are they so expensive? Last time we bought one was 5 years ago for 400 bucks, at 6 months.

Now that our last kid is gone and took his dog with him (like all our kids did when they left), our "oldest inhabitant" - which is our first rescue dog - is all alone and needs the company of other dogs which she is used to. A few visits by the kids' dogs just ain't the same. They still get along great, but our mutt gets "lonely" and howls when they leave.

So...........we want another "rescue dog" because they're "certified" by the SPCA, but why the ridiculous prices? You'd think they'd be happy to see a unwanted dog go to a good home when the purchasers are known and "cleared" - so they should just charge a nominal fee.

WTF?!?

Last edited by stuckincity; 10-26-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:54 PM

I suspect they are tugging at your heart strings....and your wallet.

Their mindset is, if you are willing to come in here and get a dog to save it from "the big sleep", then you might be willing to pay alittle bit more to spare it's life.
Kijiji is full of lot's of free dogs. If you take your time you might find a good one that would end up at the pound anyway.
I toyed with the idea of getting another dog, but then I came to my senses. I choose to be a responsible non-owner for the remainder of my days! Two of them were enough.
Try Kijiji.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 PM

Might be able to find a suitable dog with Scars http://www.scarscare.org/AnimalsLanding.aspx
The adoption fee is 250 dollars but this includes spaying/nuetering and all shots and a medically checked over dog. I believe they also will allow you to return the dog if for some reason they do not fit with with you and your other pets. I have two dogs from there and they are great! The fee with these adoptions barely covers the medical expenses that the dogs have before they are cleared for adoption and on many of the dogs it isn't even close.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 PM

It does suck that they are expensive, but the SPCA's have bills to pay for food, vet's, heat and power etc...
Old 10-26-2012, 06:05 PM

Default Rescue dogs

Definately would recomend going to check them out,we got one ,the momma was pregnant when rescued from reserve,cross between husky and shepard,he is now 15 mth,just an ausome companyon,weighs 70 lbs.he was vet checked,all updated shots etc.got him from mutts adored in stony plain
Old 10-26-2012, 06:05 PM

Look at alberta animal rescue crew (aarcs ) that's we're we got ours
Old 10-26-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods_walker View Post
I believe they also will allow you to return the dog if for some reason they do not fit with with you and your other pets.

Thanks for the info!

Our dog was through Petland which was an agent for the SPCA till the do-gooders put an end to it. They encouraged, almost demanded, that people bring in their current dog(s) to introduce it/them to the "new" one to make sure they would get along. I think the SPCA still does that.

I'd do that anyway.

I don't need "dominance issues" with a whole "pack" of mutts.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 PM

We have 2 one from the old Petland program and one from heaven can wait in high river. 2 best descions we ever made. I cant say enough about Kim and her crew in high river. Yep there's a cost but you have to think they likely had to spay or neuture, give a home and feed these dogs some for months until they are rehabilitated. The money goes to a good cause. If the couple hundred bucks is holding you back then maybe you should think twice about owning another???
Old 10-26-2012, 06:23 PM

There is also Pound Rescue.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinebeers View Post
If the couple hundred bucks is holding you back then maybe you should think twice about owning another???
"A couple of hundred bucks" is reasonable.

But when its way more than that for a dog nobody ever wanted, I start to wonder who's profiting and why. What's more important - giving dogs a good home instead of killing them, or making money from them?

PS - I NEVER want to see them killed, especially puppies.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM

I doubt there very many that are making profits. It takes a lot of man power to run one of these facilities. Either way I think it's great you are saving one.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:33 PM

Having worked in a shelter I can tell you without a doubt that rescue organizations run at a loss, always, even with discounted veterinary services.

The adoption rates generally don't even begin to cover the amount spent on that animal when it came to the rescue.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Too bad you're not near Spruce Grove because Rescue For Life is there and they have a no-kill policy to rescue unwanted animals. Their fee for adopting a dog is $250 and you can foster one until you make the connection then you can adopt it. If they were anywhere near Calgary I would love to volunteer there.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:14 PM

I don't really remember, but I think I paid about $250 for my rescue mutt.
When you figure feeding and shelter till they figure out whether the dog is even adoptable, shots/spaying/neutering, and with my dog - $1500 worth of dental work (he had been kicked in the face) - all in all, pretty reasonable.
In my case, I got a bargain - one of the best dogs I've had......

Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 PM

I think I paid 200 or 250 for my pups at 12 weeks old from SCARS and they came with a spay and neuter certificate so I see it as I got two free dogs as a spay or neuter cost close to 300
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwalking View Post
Having worked in a shelter I can tell you without a doubt that rescue organizations run at a loss, always, even with discounted veterinary services.

The adoption rates generally don't even begin to cover the amount spent on that animal when it came to the rescue.
Thanks for clarifying. Maybe the prices aren't so "ridiculous" after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by althetrainer
Too bad you're not near Spruce Grove because Rescue For Life is there and they have a no-kill policy to rescue unwanted animals. Their fee for adopting a dog is $250 and you can foster one until you make the connection then you can adopt it. If they were anywhere near Calgary I would love to volunteer there.
The no-kill policy is great! I hope they find homes for all of 'em.

Some guys here might hate me for this, but me and the wife also love cats, especially Siamese and Burmese, so I hope there's no problem finding homes for 'em!

On another note - my son's dog is a male German Shepherd that he got as a 6-week-old pup and isn't "fixed"; and is obviously ready to "make puppies".
I was thinking of looking for a un-fixed female Shepherd or Husky, or even a wolf cross, and let him "go at it".

So waddya think - should I agree with the wife about not wanting "a herd of puppies running around" and encourage him to get the dog "fixed"; or should we "get puppies" and get 'em their first shots and sell 'em to people for a price that would prove the buyers' sincerity about giving them good homes?

Don't get me wrong - I take responsibility for my own actions, so if we're "stuck with 'em", then the money will be spent on 'em and they'll never be killed - IF we ever end up with a bunch of 'em!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 PM

I have had 5 different dogs from the City Pound, still have one of them.
You can go down there and check what they have avail for adoption, interview the dog, take your other dog down there ( if you have one) to check compatability. If you are a bit picky about what you want, you can get really good dogs. If the folks down there get to know you a bit and what you want, they will let you know, when something you might want comes up. There are lots of goofy reasons they end up there, usually the owners fault. And sometimes the only reason is the owner won't pay a fine to get the dog back. Last one I got was 6 yrs ago, it was 200.00 then, spayed, shots and all. It may have gone up since then, but, is still a good deal.
If I didn't want to train one from scratch, for a hunting dog this time, would have gone down there this spring.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 AM

Just go on Kijiji and find a free dog! Good dogs are hard to come by so you might go through a few before you find the right one!

These animal rescue societies are wasting thier time and money! I would never pay for a dog or a cat! Once I got one and it turns out to be a good pet, I'll spend the money to make sure it stays in good health (to an extent).

The money that they waste on these animals is crazy! A bullet is a lot cheaper!