Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 AM

Default Disappointment

So decided to head out for the first time today with a couple buddies. We left early this morning and headed out to 349. Found a nice spot and waited for the sun to come up. Couple hrs went by and saw absolutely nothing. So decided to check out 353 and 521. Nothing again. All we saw was 1 cow moose and that was all. Where do you all go and have so much luck? What's your secret? Pls help

Mark
Old 10-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Banned

How many times have you been out this year?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Where do you all go and have so much luck? What's your secret? Pls help
Most consistently successful hunters do some preseason scouting to find out where the animals are, rather than just going hunting with no preparation..
Old 10-21-2012, 12:21 AM

I go to 349, always have great luck. I'm suspecting first post looking for game, you won't get much help.

Just keep looking. Not sure what your looking for, deer or moose, but there are lots around here.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:21 AM

I went out today and not much was happening. Day after the first major snowfall where I went...pretty slow.
Critters need to adjust...takes a day or 2 and things should pick up IMO
Old 10-21-2012, 12:32 AM

the unique part of any WMU is to do homework, be patient and pick a high traffic area, I've hunted those WMU's since 95, every year is different. do not get discouraged so quickly.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:50 AM

If you were in 349 353 and 521 in one day my advice is SIT STILL!Patience my friend.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:28 AM

Use google earth to give you a real good idea of the lay of the land. It might help you select an area without wasting gas driving around.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 AM

It was my time out this year. I actually wanted to hang out in one spot and maybe walk the bush for a bit but one of the guys I was with wanted to go everywhere. I'm lookin to hopefully get a whitetail and an elk. It's probably wishin for too much but that's the way I roll haha. I was wondering if the strong winds and snow would effect our day. Thanks all for your thoughts
Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 AM

It's not about how much area you cover, it's about knowing the area that you cover. If you hunt an area that you are familiar with, and you know where the game usually is, either due to hunting the area regularly, or pre season scouting, you will greatly increase your odds. If you go into an unfamiliar area, with no previous preparation, hoping to be lucky enough to randomly find game, you will usually end up disappointed.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:14 AM

me and my 2 buddies hunted hard on thanksgiving weekend. we started in 346 checking an area I got a bear 2 weeks prior, saw pretty much tons of moose sign and almost zero for deer. headed up to 349 for the afternoon and finally was seeing deer sign. saw 2 mulie does and one guy called in a wt doe with a fawn in distress call. saw 2 mulie does the next morning, went to a new area in the afternoon same wmu. again saw 2 more mulie does and had a huge bull sneak up on us.....

i was feeling a little discouraged as we were walking alot and not seeing the deer we were looking for. finally on the last morning me and my friend split up. we hear some gunshots so my buddy all excited drives to see if it was me..... no but as I am looking up i see down the pipeline across from his truck was a deer.... well 3 whitetails. it was my friends first time trying to shoot big game and the shot wasnt an easy one to take so easy enough to say it was a miss

the deer are around, it just takes time and patience to find them. (the next weekend i went out alone as my partner was away and got my first whitetail in the same area)
Old 10-21-2012, 09:15 AM

you have to go out and spend some time in the field . I guess when iam out and see nothing
it still a good day out in the bush i just love being in the woods . Iam never Disappointed enjoy yourselves out here
Old 10-21-2012, 12:10 PM

But ya never know, so it is still worth going. I do have to say though, my biggest critters have all invloved more luck than hrs of scouting, and a book whitetail was all just fate, right place at the right time
Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Gone Hunting

I agree that scouting and knowing the area is the key, and even then the most experienced hunter will have dry days.

Patience is a virtue in life, in hunting it is essential.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
If you were in 349 353 and 521 in one day my advice is SIT STILL!Patience my friend.
x2

sounds like your first mistake was cruising around in the truck all day.

successful hunts happen when you HUNT.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 AM

I seem to get most of my animals within a few days of the end of the season. I don't know if they get careless or I get better or more persistent. LOL

I hope it's true this year. Was out in 406 this weekend. Lots of fresh tracks in the snow so I was in the right place, but the snow was so crunchy Sunday that I'm sure they could hear me coming from half a mile away. I'm hoping this melts so I have nice wet quiet leaves and grass.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 AM

I was in 349 all weekend. The wind didn't help much. Only seen chickens most of the weekend. On the way home we saw 16 deer along highway 43. Once the wind settled they came out for some grub.