Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 PM

Default Question about homemade Pepperettes

Hi,
I had a question for all you guys that make your own pepperettes at home.

I have a whole bunch of deer meat that has been set aside for a year for the sole purpose of making sausage and pepperettes. The problem is I have never done this before. With my research I have basically found two very different ways of making pepperettes.

The first involves adding a bacterial culture to the meat along with spices and cure, smoking it at a low temperature for days, and then hanging it for weeks to get the humidity and ph to a certain level. The second involves mixing the meat with spices and cure, smoking it at a higher temperature for about half a day until the meat gets to a certain temp and calling it good.

From what I understand option 1 is the proper way of making them, but im kind of lazy and impatient and am kind of leaning towards option two. Has anybody made them this way and how do they turn out? Im leaning towards getting a couple kits from malabar spice in ontario, but Would I need the kits with the binder added or can I get away with just the spice?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 AM

Default pepperettes

Your first option is for a dry salami that could takes weeks to do. It also requires a constant temp and humidity for the entire time of its hanging. For ordinary snack stix as I call them I use straight venison add 1 tsp. per 5 lbs. of meat.[cure #1] Then add what ever you like as spices such as salt, pepper,red pepper or anything hot. You then put in the smoker or oven at about 160F until internal temp reaches about 150F. There are millions of recipe on the internet. Piker