Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Default Moose in WMU 520

Looking for help for WMU 520 moose hunting, got tag and now looking for help where to start.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 AM

First Step, go to Map Town and buy some county maps of the areas you want to hunt. They will show you private land and crown land. All private quarters have land owners names so you can contact them for access.
Crown Land is free game. Those same maps will help you with access to crown land as well.

Step 2 Scout, I usually scout an area a month or so of the upcoming season.
Standard stuff trails, turds, and tracks.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 AM

Thanks Where do I find Map Town. I got 8 lots of maps from auction no county maps of area. Is there lots of road in area.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:19 AM

WMU 520 - no private lands...........all crown. There is some provincial grazing lease NE of Peace River up the DMI Haul Road that falls in WMU 520. Some access northeast of Red Earth.

Why did you apply in WMU 520 and not know some of the areas and access by roads?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Thanks I am heading to calgary on thursday.Will be going to map town. And for them who think people should hunt only one area. This is my vacation and trying new area, and food for winter.

Last edited by Gobber; 09-24-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobber View Post
Where do I find Map Town.
http://www.maptown.com/contact.html
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM

I don't think its a matter of thinking you should only hunt one area but why you would put infor a draw in a area you have no idea about always baffels me....(your not the only one)

I think you have some good advice on where to start but I know I would have been out scouting once I got drawn to make sure my draw didnt go to waste.

My suggestion would be that the peace region is very dry and try to find some water.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM

I would like to clarify something, I use to work in Peace River about 11 year ago, I thought this might be a good place to get some real advice, about the area newer than 11 yrs old. But, I'm finding that it the same old thing everyones got something to say but, mostly nothing good.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM

Goto Maptown, in Edmonton, they sell a map of the area you will be hunting that has most of the lease and oil patch roads on it! I think its by skyview?? It a very nice map, and extremely helpful. Just tell the people at map town where you are hunting and they will know which map I am talking about.

If you can read a map, hunted moose in the past and know what good moose habitat looks like, you will do fine.

... and most of this WMU is crown land but there are a lot of reservations and metis settlements in the area so just be aware of where they are.

Cheers
Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 AM

Thanks Manosteel, Im heading to calgary in three days they got some good maps of area on hold for me. I havent hunted moose for a few years but, seen lots on my travels in last few weeks.