Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 AM

Default used .300win. mag. or new .270 rem. 700???

HELP!
This weekend i was planning on buying a new remington model 700 in .270; have my name on it and everything- but yesterday i took a drive to Warburg to pick up a bolt for an old enfeild my buddy has, and noticed that the guy had a used winchester model 70, and a ruger m77- both in .300 win mag. and the price cant be beat.

i've never fired a .300, and im a bit leary of the recoil. is it as bad as people say it is, or is it managable? i'm relly torn about which to get- i like the .270 and being new is a pluss, but that .300 is mighty fine lookin too. AHHH!

What would you guys do? i'm 6'7" and weight 230 pounds, so i dont think the recoil would be that unbarable. but then again theres ammo costs. ahhhh!
i usually hunt only deer, so a .300 is a bit much- but what if i get drawn for elk this year? AHHHHH!!

THIS WILL BE MY ONLY RIFLE PURCHASE FOR THE COMMING SEASON- WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 PM

I would contact catnthehat and ask him to sell you a nice used ruger No.1 in 279 winchester!
name withheld in case I incriminate myself
Cat
Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 PM

Can't imagine a big guy like you can't handle the 300 WM... but if you are mostly deer, why should you? .270 is a great deer gun, and will handle elk the odd time you get drawn just fine... the other way around you are using the 300 WM constantly for your deer, which is fine, but not really necessary.

let the debate begin... to be won by the guys who shout "BUY BOTH!" LOL
Old 06-25-2008, 12:26 PM

Either rifles will handle elk, deer, moose, sheep, goats, bears, etc.....a 270 will have no problems with anythin in Canada...

Size doesnt mean you can handle recoil. Some guys figure cause they are big and tough that recoil doesnt bother them but it CAN bother big guys.

It all comes down to personal choice. Buy the gun that you know you are going to enjoy shooting and the one that you can shoot confidently. If that happens to be the 300WM, then either gun will suit ya fine. From the sounds of it, you dont own much for a hunting rifle.....

Personally it sounds like you're tryin to save a few bucks...if thats the case, maybe look on Canadiangunnutz and find yourself a nice used 270. I know there is a heck of a good deal on a couple out there.....or buy Cat's gun....heh
Old 06-25-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Either rifles will handle elk, deer, moose, sheep, goats, bears, etc.....a 270 will have no problems with anythin in Canada...

Size doesnt mean you can handle recoil. Some guys figure cause they are big and tough that recoil doesnt bother them but it CAN bother big guys.

It all comes down to personal choice. Buy the gun that you know you are going to enjoy shooting and the one that you can shoot confidently. If that happens to be the 300WM, then either gun will suit ya fine. From the sounds of it, you dont own much for a hunting rifle.....

Personally it sounds like you're tryin to save a few bucks...if thats the case, maybe look on Canadiangunnutz and find yourself a nice used 270. I know there is a heck of a good deal on a couple out there.....or buy Cat's gun....heh

not to much for big game at all. a lever action 30-30, and an old bolt 30-06. theres a empty spot on the rack beggin for a new riffle is all.

as far as big tough guys not getting bothered by recoil- i know, thats crap. thats what im woried about with the .300.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 PM

If you're at all worried about it...go with the 270....

Buy the gun that suits your needs the best. If you mainly hunt deer the 270 will do it great...and will jump up and shoot elk and moose anytime ya need it to.....

A really nice Model 70 Stainless/Syn on CGN right now....
Old 06-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Angel

Both are great guns for any game in alberta or even Canada like it was said in another post ,if it was me i would go with the brand new 270 cal remington model 700 .
Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

I was looking at the same thing last season. I've ended up with the 300 and have never regreted it. A day at the range with five boxes of lead I regret. the kick I dont find that bad and at 6'3'' and 180. so you should'nt have a problem. your shot is more important than your shoulder. Think about your shot. All three shots last fall where in between 250 and 315 yards and not one animal made it two steps. test both before you buy.good luck
Old 06-25-2008, 03:48 PM

How much is the difference in price? A brand new rifle is always nice, and like a few of the other guys have already said, a 270 is a fine round for deer that will work for moose and elk too. While a 300 magnum is perhaps a little more powerful than needed for deer, there is nothing wrong with using one if you can shoot it well.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:29 PM

You should be able to handle it no problem. I'm 150 lbs, 5' bugger all with both hands in air and i don't find the kick too bad on my 300 Weatherby. A 300 win mag should be a little better in fact.........lol
Old 06-25-2008, 07:56 PM

Recoil is affected by many factors eg Gun weight, stock design, fit, recoil pads, etc.

For some straight recoil #'s the 30-30 about 10ftlbs, 270 has about 17ftlbs, 30-06 about 20ftlbs & the 300 Win Mag about 28ftlbs.

That being said I have always found the recoil of the 270 quick and jumpy while the 300 Win Mag being slower and more of a push. But the 300 Win Mag will wear you down quite a bit sooner at the range.

The other thing to consider is the greater recoil of the 300 Win Mag will be quite a bit harder on scopes.

If it is the dollar signs that are making you question your decision maybe have a look at some used 270's.

Fun, Fun, Fun

Good luck
Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 PM

My big game rifle is a .270 Remington 700 which I bought in 1963. Never failed me on game including Moose. I've made a lot of one shot kills on Whitetails out to 560 yards.
They are nice to shoot and accurate as all get out. I use 140gr Federal high energy trophy bonded bear claw ammo which come close to 7mm mag ballistics. In my eye's it's one beautiful firearm that's good for any game in Alberta except dangerous game like Grizzly then I'd go for more power.

Last edited by Percher; 06-26-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 AM

thanks for all your help guys. i think im going to look around a bit tonight, and a buddy has offered to let me fire a few out of his .300- in the end i think ill make the right choice; until i want a ne rifle

Cheers all!