Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Default Bow hunting rabbits

Really addicted to bow hunting since taking it up a few years ago. Been picking off grouse with the bow quite well. This winter, I plan on hunting rabbits with my bow as much as possible.

Looking for info on arrows to use. I imagine I am going to lose a few, to say the least.

Was thinking about heading to Bass Pro and picking up the cheapest ones they had in bulk. Unless I can order them online cheaper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Cheapest arrows at BPS is $60-65/doz.

Cut to length, inserts glued in free of charge

Bring in another arrow for reference.

cheers,
Old 12-02-2010, 12:48 PM

Try using a "Judo-Point" tips. I use them with my regular arrows.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:35 PM

Has anyone used Judo Points in the snow? Seems like they would just disappear anyways.

Bow hunting rabbits is really fun I agree. I've always just used target points and have lost a few arrows. Not as many as one would expect though.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM

LOL , good to know I am not the only one losing arrows to the bunnies....you'd think they'd be easy to find...fluorescent colours.....I tried for an hour to find them...guess they vanished in the ground or inside a hollow rotten log?

I used target tips. judos, everything still manage to lose a few....but its worth the fun and practise

is it just Edmonton, or is the rest of alberta seeing a peak in the snowshoe population this year?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:10 PM

I've been running bunnies with my bow for a while now and I just use a regular field point with a big washer behind the point. I also run orange fletch and they seem to show up nice in the snow.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM

Question

do you need a bow permit to use a bow to hunt rabbits? just wondering.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bo View Post
Cheapest arrows at BPS is $60-65/doz.

Cut to length, inserts glued in free of charge

Bring in another arrow for reference.

cheers,
Sorry, Jim-bo, I am looking for some cheap arrow for practicing, what do you mean "at BPS"? is it a store name? where is it? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Bass Pro Shop
Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM

You dont need a bow hunting permit for rabbit, yes for game birds, coyotes, wolf and Big game only

from the regs

Except for the hunting of black bear, coyote or wolf under the circumstances as outlined under Access for Control of Livestock Predation, a Bowhunting Permit is required by anyone who hunts big game, game bird, wolf or coyote with a bow and arrow. Bowhunters with appropriate general or special licences may hunt during the general seasons, archery-only seasons and primitive weapon seasons. A Bowhunting Permit is required in combination with a big game licence. In some areas of the province, hunters require special licences to hunt certain species of big game – see season tables. A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence or Antlerless Elk Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued. Bowhunters are reminded that, in some situations, archery-only seasons for some species may be in progress at the same time as primitive weapon and rifle seasons for other species in the same WMU.

Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head. An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:13 PM

I like a Flu Flu for rabbits, tiped with a big old 2 blade BH on the longbows and recurves.
I used the Flu Flu's when I shot a compound for rabbits and birds too.

Pete
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 AM

Default Bunnies with the bow

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Much apprecaited.

I was just going to go with a judo point, but now I will try other options as well.

yeah, I lost a few arrows while hunting grouse with my bow over the years. Expecially in mossy areas. Darn arrows go feet into the ground.

Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 AM

The big fletch on a Flu Flu slows the arrow down fast, and makes it easier to find. They will shoot well from any rest, even Whisker Biscuits, prongs and drop away's.

Pete
Old 12-03-2010, 10:55 AM

I have a question about Flu flu's...I tend to hunt snowshoes in heavy brush ( probably why I lose some...) . Do they get caught up more in the brush, means you keep your arrow but lose the bunny?

sorry to hijack a little
Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmore View Post
Sorry, Jim-bo, I am looking for some cheap arrow for practicing, what do you mean "at BPS"? is it a store name? where is it? Thanks.
Bass Pro Shops, they are on sale for $50 now. You can't really get cheaper arrows than that, at least for 1 doz.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
I have a question about Flu flu's...I tend to hunt snowshoes in heavy brush ( probably why I lose some...) . Do they get caught up more in the brush, means you keep your arrow but lose the bunny?

sorry to hijack a little
no they won't, they will make a sound like a whiffle ball when shot, but usually the rabbit will just look at it, then... THUD!

I used them for small game and birds out of my comound, they do lose velocity quicker, but that just takes some practise to account for.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bo View Post
Bass Pro Shops, they are on sale for $50 now. You can't really get cheaper arrows than that, at least for 1 doz.
To Jim-bo and GOLDSCUB,
Thanks for clarifying it.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Judo tips and don't miss. I shot tons of Hare's with the ol' bow over the years. Aim for the eye!