Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 PM

Default A first time for Mom and Dad

Had our first experience, as relativelly new parents of a 19 month old, with our boy wandering off during our slo-pitch game in nisku tonight. If any of you were there tonight I wish i had the chance to shake everyones hand that dropped what they were doing to help out two very scared parents.

Little bugger decided to follow dad a few hundred yards to the parking lot when i went to grab the carseat from my wifes car. I found him during the panicked search walking through a couple cars looking for me. Worst 5 minutes of my life hands down. Its amazing how the "Dad" instincts instantly kick in. Never....have the horrible thoughts of what I was going to do to the "person that took my son" rushed through my mind with the sincerity that that they were tonight.

Nonetheless, twas a happy ending. Lesson learned by rookie mom and dad.

Again, a heartfelt thank you to everyone in the nisku ball league.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I have told many people "You will NEVER know REAL fear until the day you become a parent!"

Our son pulled the disappearing act on us in Stanley Park about 1984 when we were there visiting. There were 4 grown adults and one teenager looking for him. It didn't take but a few moments and whoever the Park security is there noticed Mom getting frantic and asked what was going on. She told them and BAM! The entire park was locked down. No one in...no one out! In less time than it takes to tell the story there were uniforms EVERYWHERE.

I was vaguely aware of people complaining about not being allowed to leave but I was so focused on finding the little "sweetheart" (said through gritted teeth) that I never paid much attention.

We finally found him about 60 yards away in front of a crowd of kids with his nose pressed up against the glass of a popcorn machine. Too busy to pay any attention listening for Mom or Dad.

Nothing happened that time but when he pulled the same trick the following Xmas in a crowded store in our home town he had his mind permanently changed on the humour of hiding on Mom and Dad. We knew the store owner personally and I asked him if he minded if we "borrowed" his stock room for a few minutes. He just smiled and turned up the Xmas music.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:23 PM

Glad everyone was ok , you soon learn they'll test ya. We have four rascals and so far the second oldest has really tested momma bear, I have been at work every time . Last year her sister was supposed to keep an eye on the kids at the local fair while my wife went to the can , came back and 2 nd oldest had wandered off . Had cops and everyone invoked in that one , apparently she just wanted to climb the ladder on the high clearnce sprayer , and sat up on the platform while 20 people ran around calling her name . ( go figure)
Then this year at the end of swimming lessons , with like 5 minutes left and they are done, she tried her damnedest to drown. My wife was stuck out in the viewing area and the teacher / life gaurd was pre occupied with other kids. I tell ya they'll test ya , oh man I am in for it.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
I have told many people "You will NEVER know REAL fear until the day you become a parent!"

Our son pulled the disappearing act on us in Stanley Park about 1984 when we were there visiting. There were 4 grown adults and one teenager looking for him. It didn't take but a few moments and whoever the Park security is there noticed Mom getting frantic and asked what was going on. She told them and BAM! The entire park was locked down. No one in...no one out! In less time than it takes to tell the story there were uniforms EVERYWHERE.

I was vaguely aware of people complaining about not being allowed to leave but I was so focused on finding the little "sweetheart" (said through gritted teeth) that I never paid much attention.

We finally found him about 60 yards away in front of a crowd of kids with his nose pressed up against the glass of a popcorn machine. Too busy to pay any attention listening for Mom or Dad.

Nothing happened that time but when he pulled the same trick the following Xmas in a crowded store in our home town he had his mind permanently changed on the humour of hiding on Mom and Dad. We knew the store owner personally and I asked him if he minded if we "borrowed" his stock room for a few minutes. He just smiled and turned up the Xmas music.
Regards,
Dave.

So true.

And for the OP.

We all get distracted and kids can be pretty sneaky.
They are also surpising fleet of foot in their nappies.....
The best parents in the world make mistakes or have those heart stoppers.

Don't beat yourself up about it....you guys are doing fine.
There's a learning curve... you just hit a bit of a hump.
There will be others.