Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Transporting Meat strategies

I've got a big hunt coming up and thought I would solicit some solutions to transporting meat. What are some meat transportation strategies that you use? I was thinking that I would bring my deep freezer in the truck, pack the meat in it, plug it in, freeze the meat, and drive for 20 hours. I would check the freezer every couple hours, when the meat showed signs of thaw, I'd stop at a power source, plug in, re-freeze, then back on the road. My buddies idea is to use styrofoam boxes and ice.

Ideas?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:18 PM
sheephunter

If meat is frozen, it won't thaw out in a deepfreeze in 20 hours. The worst thing you can do is keep opening the lid and letting warm air in. Unless you are planning on cutting and wrappping it there, I wouldn't feeze it. When we come back from the yukon, I just throw the quarters in a tarp and drive home. The boned meat goes in a cooler with a block of ice. As long as it's not too warm, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If meat is frozen, it won't thaw out in a deepfreeze in 20 hours. The worst thing you can do is keep opening the lid and letting warm air in. Unless you are planning on cutting and wrappping it there, I wouldn't feeze it. When we come back from the yukon, I just throw the quarters in a tarp and drive home. The boned meat goes in a cooler with a block of ice. As long as it's not too warm, I wouldn't worry about it.
thanks for the info.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Gone Hunting

I've used a deep freeze when I bring back Sockeye from the coast. Plug it in here the night before I leave. Fill it half full of iced sockeye the next day, 20 gallons of crushed ice on top of the fish and when I get home from the coast there is only about 1/4 of the ice gone.

Like sheep says keep the lid shut. Put the chilled meat in add a few bags of ice and you should be good for at least 30 hours.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 PM

If u have a truck freeze it then bring the freezer with u and pack a generator fire it up good to go froze all the way home
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 PM

I have an SUV & for me this year if I need to transport over a ways, I am looking into getting one of those Costco Marine Coolers :

150-165 quarts, white (so they reflect the sun and stay cooler longer) and have a 7 day rating. I think they were about $229 last I saw them. One will hold a good sized mule deer quartered, two might even get you an elk (if you butcher it at the camp)

I can either put it inside my SUV, or if needed you can get a hitch carrier and mount it outside :