Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM

Default Why Not Leica?

When most people talk of high quality glass the big 3 german brands come up. My question is that i don't hear much about Leica in rifle scopes or spotting scopes. They compare with the other 2 in bino's, do they not compare in rifle and spotting scopes?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 AM

I think they compair in spotting scopes, not sure about rifle scopes
I know my Swarovski range finder made my old leica look like
a bushnell...
Its Swarovski for me, I will not own a Lecia again
Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Not wanting to stir the pot to much, but I would respectfully suggest the Swar users tend to overstate the Swar quality more than just a little. Certainly Swar is one of the top in the world no one will deny that, however there are many others that are as good and some that would be even better at far less price. It seems many Swar users feel the need to justify the money they spend by suggesting all other brands are by a very wide margin inferrior. Guess what they are not Lieca, Ziess, and even several Japanesse manufacturers have very good glass and even the most decerning users would not be able to tell them apart under 99% of situations.

Lieca, Ziess, any many others are not just equals to Swar they are in fact superior is some cases. There are many Lieca users that would say the same about Swar glass as the Swar guys say about the Leica glass. I have personally used Lieca, Swar, Ziess, Nikon, Pentax, Canon and others.

Don't be discouraged by the comments of the Swar users, no one that truly appreciates quality optics would ever slam Lieca, Ziess, Nikon or any of the other top glass manufactures. Optics are a personal choice, for me I would never trade my Nikons for Swars, I wear glasses and the Nikons are the only bino's I have found that work for me....and yes I tried the Swars, they just were not as good or as comfortable as the Nikons.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Default leica swarovski

i own a swarovski stm80 hd spotting scope swarovski 10x42 hd swarvision and leica hd geovids and they are all awesome glass if i had to choose i would not know which to get rid of also vortex hd makes a sweet glass as well for half the price
Old 07-13-2012, 12:01 PM

I don't think you hear much about their rifle scopes and spotting scopes in Canada is because virtually no one sells them. You can find their binos and range finders but have you ever seen a retail store with a scope in stock?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM

Default Popular in Europe

A friend of mine is working overseas on drilling rigs and he settle on a Leica riflescope after looking at all the top brands.
i have used most of the major brands including the top three and to me the leica 65 mm spotting scope was better than some top brand 85 mm. I was more concerned with definition and chromatic aberation and found Leica had the best clarity and color but when you get to the top brands they are all good.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
I don't think you hear much about their rifle scopes and spotting scopes in Canada is because virtually no one sells them. You can find their binos and range finders but have you ever seen a retail store with a scope in stock?
Robinsons camera, P and D, Wolverine supplies, Grouse River.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Robinsons camera, P and D, Wolverine supplies, Grouse River.
Four places in all of the west. That was the point I was trying to convey. Not a lot of places selling them.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Four places in all of the west. That was the point I was trying to convey. Not a lot of places selling them.
IIRC Bartons in GP and maybe Corlanes as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:36 PM

Nikon spotter, zeiss binos, leica 10x42 ultravid hd's, swaro hd spotter, leica rangefinder, and who knows how many different brands of rifles scopes...... a good friend won a desert bighorn hunt and the best spotter in the group was using a set of 20 year old tascos, and that spotter was the one that found his ram. Some people will sit around and say that a chevy truck or a honda quad have no equals on the face of the planet, both are a good product but c'mon, really? swaro is a great brand, with an awesome warranty, money well spent in my books
Old 07-13-2012, 03:50 PM

I really think optics are a very personal choice & possibly there is a perfect glass made for every different eye. And it may not always be the so called top of the line brand name.

A few yrs ago my spouse wanted to get into hunting with me. Just a note on outfitting a spouse - if she wants to come share my passion for hunting, I want to ensure she will enjoy herself to the fullest by making sure her equipment is of at least as good or of better quality than mine & won't let her down in the field. I will spare little expense within reason. Same with my children.

She wears contacts & glasses so she needed something that worked for her. She was naive as to what is a top of the line optic brand name. We shopped around & tested numerous brands but nothing was satisfactory for her. Finally we found a 2nd hand pair of Swars at a gun shop. For the first time she really liked the glass she was looking through. She loved them & swears by them. I on the other hand, hate looking through the Swars & can't see half as good as I can through what is deemed a much lower quality optic.

The same is true with Scopes in our household. Everyone has a different preference for scope brand. So I think there is a perfect glass made for each eye just not necessarily the most expensive brand name. It is what works for each of us individually.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Default glass

I just got a pair of the new swaro binos with range finder ,upgraded from my old geovids,both are awsome binos.But I had the 80 mm HD swaro spotting scope I found that the quality as good as it was didnt match the price.I think Im going to try a new Leica spotter.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:37 PM

I love my Leica 10 x 42 Geovids, but since I can't use them for 3D tournements (no rangefinders allowed), wanted a mid priced pair of binos. Settled on Vortex Vipe HD 10 x 42, and optically they give the Leicas a very good run for the money at about a quarter the cost. As far as a riflescope goes, my favorite to date is a Kahles Helia, put it on my .300 WM because of the long eye relief, and it is superior to my Leupolds in low light. Many good optics out there, I haven't tried the Swaro kool aid yet and probably won't. For the money, my eyes can't tell the difference between them and a Vortex Razor at 1/3 the price.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-14-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I love my Leica 10 x 42 Geovids, but since I can't use them for 3D tournements (no rangefinders allowed), wanted a mid priced pair of binos. Settled on Vortex Vipe HD 10 x 42, and optically they give the Leicas a very good run for the money at about a quarter the cost. As far as a riflescope goes, my favorite to date is a Kahles Helia, put it on my .300 WM because of the long eye relief, and it is superior to my Leupolds in low light. Many good optics out there, I haven't tried the Swaro kool aid yet and probably won't. For the money, my eyes can't tell the difference between them and a Vortex Razor at 1/3 the price.
I've got the same Geovids and love them. I'd say that Leica isn't nearly as overlooked as the Kahles here in North America. I had a Kahles AH 2-7 on a .270 Wby a few years back and it was awesome glass. Easily outclassed a VX-III 2.5-8 I had at the same time, for not a whole lot more $$$. Didn't have another of the big 3 to compare it to side by side but from past experience I'd say it was as good as most I've looked through, before and since, at less money simply because of lack of popularity.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
When most people talk of high quality glass the big 3 german brands come up. My question is that i don't hear much about Leica in rifle scopes or spotting scopes. They compare with the other 2 in bino's, do they not compare in rifle and spotting scopes?
Another one you don't hear much about in scopes is Schmidt and Bender. I don't think I've seen anyone mention them. They make nice scopes as well.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Another one you don't hear much about in scopes is Schmidt and Bender. I don't think I've seen anyone mention them. They make nice scopes as well.
Schmidt and Bender optics are right up there with the best, just not many dealers around so not many have much experience with them. To me, the big three are all about the same quality. I prefer the swaro's because they seem to fit me better compared to say the leicas. Optically one is as good as the other though. Some of the lower priced optics do give you a sharp image, but how are they when it counts, that last few minutes of legal light? That's what I look for in glass. Personally I don't believe in this swaro "kool aid", they are that good.