Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-07-2008, 03:49 PM

Default Good weekend for gophers!

Well I must say after getting out for the first time with the old .22 wildcat on saturday for some gophers shooting , I'm addicted!
And for never shooting these litle guys before, I relized quite quickly how hardy the little buggers are!
After seeing a few flip of the mounds you guarantee I'll be back out this weekend getting some more!

Ive also heard some rumors of gopher shoots, does anyone know of any around the Calgary area?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Just how I felt last summer

I hadn't shot a gopher since I was a kid then got to go with some Nutz from a thread called Edmonton Gopher Outings. Well this guy had all the fields lined up, all ya had to do was meet up in Viking and the show was on. It was tremendous fun. Then I went out and found a field all to myself north of Edmonton.
Can't wait to do it all again this spring, summer is out as my wife and I have bought a cabin in Manitoba and plan to spend a great amount of time there. FS
Old 04-08-2008, 05:39 PM

Went today since we finished up work early. I went out about 70k SE of Calgary in search of a good gopher patch that would be close to home. Unfortionatly no luck, so I guess the search continues ths weekend.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM

I'm interested in finding out some good places around Calgary as well. I live right on the southern outskirts of the town (52nd ST SE and Deerfoot) Just bought an anschutz .22 and am looking to take some shots. I'm also very interested in going predator hunting. Unfortonately, I've never done anything like this before. Never been able to go out hunting with anybody or see how it's all done. Although I have been interested in it since I was kid.

When I was a farm boy I used to shoot gophers all the time. Just head out to the pasture and pick em off... get the odd skunk too. Now being a city man, and wanting to get back into that lifestyle, need a few pointers and tips and maybe a helping hand or three
Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Is that OK to shoot gophers on private land on Sundays?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony710 View Post
Is that OK to shoot gophers on private land on Sundays?
Yes.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 PM

I'm still trying to find some good gopher fields around Red Deer. I went driving around for a couple of hours last weekend but all I found was dead ends and plowed fields. Only gopher I spotted was smack in the middle of a farmer's driveway!
Old 05-24-2008, 08:11 AM

Default Lookin to shoot gophers too!!!!

Just came from Ontario and shoot groundhogs all the time...now I want to try my luck with the gopphers...Im in the same boat as you guys..live in calgary,just bought a .17 hmr and want to use ir.I know that there are the little basteard areoung just trying to find a shootable area where we dont get bothered.Back home farmers begged you to get rid of the hogs...should be the same here I would think...I try my luck in finding an area and mabey we gan get together if WE find some spots for an afternoon and do some blasting.