Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Arrow New to Alberta Hunting ... Crown Land vs Private

I am originally from the East like so many of the people out here. I was hoping to find out from all the kind folk on here how it works for hunting here. It certainly seems like the majority of land (least in the south) is private sections, not too much crown. So I was wondering how people hunt for birds, coyotes, or what have you. I just want to make sure I know the ins and outs before September rolls around.

I would assume you just to ask permission from land owners and hope for the best? I know at least in Nova Scotia there are fishing regulations that the angler has some rights to the waterways, is still a grey muddy area, but I guess that is what these online forums are for.

As well if anyone wants to share good spots, or at least how to pic good spots. I read someone else on here that canola fields is not where to look, so any tips like that would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time and consideration
Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM

there actually is a fair amount of crown land accessible for hunting... um.. not sure where you can get a map that shows this, but maybe some of the other members can give you a link.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:17 PM

This website will be your best friend.
http://xnet.env.gov.ab.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=rec_access
Old 07-06-2012, 09:21 PM

unfortunately that website doesnt tell you what land is private and what is crown all it tells you is which land has a grazing lease on it
Old 07-07-2012, 12:19 AM

Default Millsboy

The best thing you can do, is figure out what WMU's you want to hunt and what type of terrain you want to hunt. Next would be to pick up the south and maybe the central Alberta Backroads mapbooks (about 25 bucks each but invaluable in the field) Now that you have your wmus figured aswell as the terrain, BUY county landowner maps for the counties that fall in the areas you wish to hunt. These maps will show you crown land verses owned land, and best of all the owned land lists last name with a first initial (usually) Then you can look up the land owner and request a meeting or ask for permission over the phone. I know for me in lethbridge. I use the "Better book Phone book" that and my maps I have no problems finding where I am and can usually get ahold of a land owner pretty fast If I need to. County maps usually run about 20-30 bucks. Also I would suggest downloading google earth and I cant remember the thread but if you do a search of google earth on this forum and can find the one where a fellow has got the wmu overlays you have alot of info right there. Then after all this "work" hit the road and go for A drive I hope this helps (it really should help alot lol)

welcome to alberta by the way
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM

Grazing Reserves work. I know the ones I hunt on up this way I need to contact to make sure I can hunt certain parts of the reserve.

Funny no one mentions this but Alberta Fish & Game & local Fish & Game associations have land too & some of the ones I hunt are good. Foot access only but if folks can hunt 936 up this way they can hunt 100 acres to a couple 2000 acres of Fish & Game land.

That gives you some more options to think about.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Thumbs up Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
The best thing you can do, is figure out what WMU's you want to hunt and what type of terrain you want to hunt. Next would be to pick up the south and maybe the central Alberta Backroads mapbooks (about 25 bucks each but invaluable in the field) Now that you have your wmus figured aswell as the terrain, BUY county landowner maps for the counties that fall in the areas you wish to hunt. These maps will show you crown land verses owned land, and best of all the owned land lists last name with a first initial (usually) Then you can look up the land owner and request a meeting or ask for permission over the phone. I know for me in lethbridge. I use the "Better book Phone book" that and my maps I have no problems finding where I am and can usually get ahold of a land owner pretty fast If I need to. County maps usually run about 20-30 bucks. Also I would suggest downloading google earth and I cant remember the thread but if you do a search of google earth on this forum and can find the one where a fellow has got the wmu overlays you have alot of info right there. Then after all this "work" hit the road and go for A drive I hope this helps (it really should help alot lol)

welcome to alberta by the way
That should really help a lot. I already have all the map books from alberta, so step one down. I would assume terrain wise I would want to have water on the map perhaps even just a creek or something. But seriously you use a real physical phone book ... lol didn't even know they still printed those ... jk

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
That should really help a lot. I already have all the map books from alberta, so step one down. I would assume terrain wise I would want to have water on the map perhaps even just a creek or something. But seriously you use a real physical phone book ... lol didn't even know they still printed those ... jk

Thanks again for all the help.
lol, yup I have 1 phone book at home, on in the truck one in my pack, and gave a few to my hunting partners, hehe, one of the benefits of working for the city, I have unlimited access to phone books lmao. Now as far as water goes, You dont have to hunt right beside the river kinda thing, Animals can cover alot of ground in a day, to and from food bedding water sources ect. A water source is a good spot to look for tracks and trails that kinda thing.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post

I read someone else on here that canola fields is not where to look, so any tips like that would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time and consideration
Dont be scared of trying conola fields just because one guy had a bad experience. Early season when I hunt the peace country canola fields hold a lot of good moose and even some muley bucks. But hit some alfalfa fields those are great for good numbers especially the second cut!

Tags
hunting, hunting birds, hunting chickens