Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Default Need some elk hunting pointers

I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out,as I know htere's some experienced elk hunters here. Myself and 3-4 friends have been elk hunting during the bow season for the last couple years, and thus far we have been completely unsuccessful. In fact,we have yet to see an elk while hunting. Heard the odd bugle in the evening,but thats it!
We hunt in 356, although we are looking around for a new camp location right now but will likely stay in 356.

We will be going out starting next weekend to scout new area's and begin putting out trail cams. I'm wondering if finding the elk now will help much come September? Will the elk still be in the area's we find them in now?

How do you generally go about scouting new area's? Stick to rivers and streams, go up high,walk cutlines? I've hunted elk in the Wilmore a bit, and it was much easier to find them in that area. They seemed to be down low in the mornings and evening,higher up during the day.Does this hold true in the flatter regions we hunt now? I also noticed there was always sign down by the rives, but didn't see them there very often.Perhaps they go down to drink at night?

I have reed calls,bugle's,Hoochie Mama etc, but I'm a little leery about calling too much because I don't really know the appropriate times to call or which calls to use and when. We only hunt during the bow season,so usually starting a couple weeks into September.Is there a better time to try?

I realize it could be several more years before I ever shoot an elk with my bow,and I'm okay with that.I just want to actually see some elk, to at least know I'm in the right area and could have an opportunity.Any tips or advice to share?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 PM

I'm no expert, but I do know the area. It's hard to hunt elk in 356, they tend to move alot because there's way too many predators, they're also quiet cause of those predators and do not come easy on calls. Add to that the fact that the cover is very, I mean very thick. Not the easiest place to hunt elk, but if you put in the time, it can be done.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 PM

If you are hearing bugles that means there is Elk close by, why would you leave an area that has Elk. I would stay in the same area and get to know it better. Find where they are and learn what they are doing then get into position to shoot one. By going to a new area you will need to do all your homework all over again. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 AM

If there are elk there, don't leave. Get out this summer and find where they eat and where they sleep. Set up between the two spots. If the area is hard hit with predators, don't bother with the bugle. I would say a decoy will really help you out too. If they can see another elk there already, they are much more likely to come in. Cow calls at prime time and watch for them coming in silently.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM

If they are calling at night follow them try to stay with untill mornning
Old 07-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Don't go into their bedding area if you plan on hunting them for more than a few days.

95% of elk hunting is finding where they are. Relatively easy after that with a rifle. NOW a bow on the other hand can be downright ignorant even on predictable farmland elk.

I had to start shooting out to 60 yards and found my success went way up. Don't overcall, minimize your time in their "area", hunt peak times during the day, use cover scents, ZERO talking - anytime when u are in the field, mimimize all the sh*t they try to sell u on TV - YOU DONT NEED IT.

PM me for more of my opinions
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the pointers guys, I'm going to have to take notes so I remember it all. Do you consider duk/dawn to be the best times for elk, or will they move mid day like bucks during the rut?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 PM

They move from cover to cover in mid day so you might be able to see one. They are most active one hour before/after sunrise/sunset. I personally prefer dawn especially seeing them while traveling to your place. But they will bed down quickly after feeding (cud) at dawn. first hour before/after . If it is dusk and dark - gutting and loading and animal is tough and unsafe.
-Coniferous
Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 PM

mornning works best i start calling about 5 am and try to track them until first light.dont give up though i have shot elk at all hrs of the day from 7 am to 5 pm if the sun is out you should be hunting.at mid day you should be looking for bed grounds or water holes even a well used wallow can produce elk during the late day hunt.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:00 AM

Default Elk

Hi

One word for elk - crafty -- hunt hard - hunt quiet --unless they are in heavy rut then in my opinion calling is ok -- I use a hoochie mamma call and bugle .

I was lucky enough to have a cow draw last year in 314 -- a friend has a ranch and his ranch hand heard them for at least a week -- like clock work every morning and night -- we went with a plan and heard them chirrping when we got to the ranch house -- in the dark 50 yds from the house we set up -- heard them -- saw the brush move when she walked ( but still to dark to shoot ) anothe 15 minutes till shooting lite ------ then all quiet and elk dissapeared

Elk won

Crafty
Sneaky
Smart

Good Luck with the hunt

This year im going after bulls

Cheers

Ian
Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM

I've found you should use your bugle to get them singing...and then use your cow calls to attract them. Have more than one type of cow call, sometimes a bull will be responding but not be coming closer...if you change up your call being used it will sometimes get them moving. If a bull is responding, but not coming closer, you may as well make a move towards him....move hard and fast, downwind as he bugles...

Watch the wind...especially any thermal currents in the area you hunt. IE. thermal currents go uphill in the morning. Using a small puff bottle or a thread can give you some indication of the direction of thermal currents.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 PM

Also do not give up on the mid day hunt. Sometime animals will move mid day as they learn the fact that most hunters only hunt morning and night. Ask around you will find hunters on this forum who have been successful mid day.