Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 PM

Default Hunting On The Ground/ Blind Hunting

Fella's,

I bought a doulble bull archery blind for this fall, I am going to give it a try
this year for Mr Big if he lived. He has busted me 1 too many times in the tree.
- Who has or uses them hunting?
- What are your exsperinces with cover scent, good, better or worse than stand hunting.
- Do you perfer them over a tree stand?
- If you are going to sit in it Sept 1st when would you set it out, How many days or weeks prior to would you put it out.
- How do you find shooting through the screen, Does your arrow wonder at all
- Has anyone got any pics of a animal that they shot out of a blind on the ground?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

i use it when hunting with the little lady or my kid.

scent control is about the same as a treestand....need to watch the wind.

prefer it over the tree as you can move around, get up and stretch, and they cover more movement.

i set one out and left it for a few weeks, and moved another one pretty well daily and sat in it.

never did try shooting through it, but a friend says it doesnt affect his arrow as long as you use fixed heads, not mechanicals.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:04 PM

I take the shoot through mesh off every window. I just wear dark clothing and a face mask and I've had herds of mulies at 5 yards that had no idea I was there.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Default ground blind dilemma

I have used a ground blind for a few years now with mixed results.Make sure you put it up at least a week before you go and cover it up with some trees/brush to break its outline.I have found with whitetails don't like it set up too close to a trail they use constantly!Keep it back off the funnel or trail a little bit so they get used to it.Have it set up in a way that you are facing into the wind as they will circle around it but keep your scent down.With all the new blinds are blacked out well but keep your mesh covering the sides that they will approach from as I have had them spook from movement they could see through the open windows. Muleys dont rarely bother at all and you can place it differntly everyday but not to close to the bedding area!Have fun with it and remember everyone has different luck with them! It is all about learning to use a new tool/tactic to be successful!P.S buy a swivel seat,it does come in very handy and is more comfy!Good luck
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I am amazed at the very few blind bowhunters.
Going to give it a try anyways.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:28 PM

Hunted from a buddies blind last year for the first time! We only hunted it twice, didn't have anything closer than 75 yards! I really enjoyed being on the ground level though! It was enough fun for me that I now have my own blind! Hoping to use it this fall for whitetails and mulies! Bow and rifle! I like the treestand too, just because you can see more! But the blind is much more comfortable! I actually fell in love with still hunting last fall as well! Only did 3 hunts from the stand/blind, the rest were on foot! And I still saw a ton of animals!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:58 PM

I have used ground blind for years and years just not store bought .. mine are made out of trees branches .had elk within 28 yds and wolves with 55 yds moose 40 yds..with rifle i have shot out of it afew times moose/ mulies /whitetail and wolf .. also spotted them all miles away then flagged in partners on them as they looked back at stand to see which way to stalk in on animals.. have called in Elk/Moose and Wolves. from the stand i even watch the Model Forest go after a Grizz in cutblock with a helicopter and a dart gun(bait site 438).. was a rodeo.. now its grown over i have a new one on a cutblock all natural no smell but me and prevailing wind is west.. a blind works Great is all i can say very proficient tool

Food for Thought
David
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 PM

I've used ground blinds for quite a few years. My sister took a 174 class whitetail at 25yards, my daughter got her 1st 2 deer out of ground blinds and my son got his first bull moose at 40 yards. Set it out early 1-2 weeks before you plan to hunt an area, pay really close attention to wind and keep sounds and movement to a minimum. Like other posts mule deer seem less wary of blinds and I have had them at 5-10 yards in front of me. I've had whitetails within in 5 yards as well but on high alert. Brush them in with as much natural folage as possible to break up it's outline. A great way to hunt as it provides shelter and a lot of time to view and watch wildlife in their surroundings.