Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 AM

Default My thoughts on "howling" coyotes.

Here are my thoughts on coyote hunting tactics around this time of year.

A lot of guys think that howling is the way to go. I think that howling is better suited for the pre-mating season when they are starting to pair up. Early season and for this time of year the distress calls are the best, rabbit distress or coyote distress. Think about it. Why would a male coyote leave his mate to come to your howls? They already have a mate. You might get the odd loaner to come in but that seems low percentage to me. Coyotes have to eat, ALL THE TIME. They are predators/scavengers they are always looking for food. Stick with the distress calls. If you find nothing is coming in then you need to find a new area because either the dogs are not there, you are overcalling in the area or someone else is, or you have educated the ones that are there.
Yesterday we started using howls and just had dogs hang up and they did not seem interested at all. Went to the distress calls and pretty much had to start shooting them in self defence.
Stick to the distress calls and start piling them up!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 AM

X2 howling has its purpose but I find they hang up a lot and are hard to coax in afterwards. Switch up the distresses depending on time of year and what youve used before in that area I go between fawn distress, rabbit distress, and pup distress ( this is my go to call works all year ). Not saying they arent out there but I doubt as many people are as succesful with howls as they claim it works just watching to many randy anderson primos videos LOL. My appologies to those who are skilled enough howlers to make it work for them.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Banned

Howling to locate where there at than setting up close to there stomping ground and challenge howl, either male or female can get the dominate pair charging in. Depends on snow conditions, you dont wanna be crunchin thru makin a bunch of noise gettin set up. We usually get within 500 yds than lay out few challenge howls, they dont like a incoming dog on there turf. Deer in distress this time of year cause the deer are all herded up works good too. Dont get stuck on distress sounds all the time, magpie and raven sounds can bring em in too. Either way whatevers workin for ya keep layin em down.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Starting with a couple of howels lets the yotes know there is another in their area. Fallowing up with distress calling can really get them going. This time of year howling can get you a chance at the dominant male in the area if you use a sub dominant howls.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG View Post
Starting with a couple of howels lets the yotes know there is another in their area. Fallowing up with distress calling can really get them going. This time of year howling can get you a chance at the dominant male in the area if you use a sub dominant howls.
x2....mix it up and dont limit yourself to just distress calling

i have had great success with a distress sequence that started out with howls..or vice versa...like Rocky Jacobson always says, create a scenario with every calling sequence....this will make you more effective no matter what you are hunting....i know its helped me be a great deal more successful....you may not howl them in but hearing a howl before the rabbit gets attacked can add some confidence for the old dogs to come in.

Howling can also work great on call shy coyotes that know the foxpro spitfire playlist by heart

Howling is very effective when used correctly....and when you dont sound like a dying cat
Old 02-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Just a heads up about some of the advice regarding sounds to use as deer and bird sounds are illegal to use. I THINK one is restricted to coyote,rabbit and rodent sounds only. Nothing personal kale as you have some good points but you need to realize that coyotes dont have a wriiten set of rules they follow. Ive taken a large share of my 117 dogs by howling this season. The best thing to come along before the magic box was the coyote howler about 15 years or so ago.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM

maybe it has to do with the area i hunt in but I have only had 1 dog come into a howl in 2 years. They seem to come in on a string to pup and rabbit distress calls. Howls just gets them hanging up out of range only to turn and walk away.

When using howls I get them lighting up all around but nothing ever shows if I stick with the Howls
Old 02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
waylow

Man I dunno...I howl 90% of the time and call in coyotes on about 50% of my stands. Most of the time I don't have time to use a distress because they're coming. The most important thing is being where the coyotes are.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylow View Post
Man I dunno...I howl 90% of the time and call in coyotes on about 50% of my stands. Most of the time I don't have time to use a distress because they're coming. The most important thing is being where the coyotes are.
Oh the coyotes are there alright. Yesterday we called 9 stands and had dogs in on 7 of them. 2 we had doubles hang up when using howls.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
Just a heads up about some of the advice regarding sounds to use as deer and bird sounds are illegal to use.
From an e-caller yes...hand calls you can make what ever noise you like to bring them in.

The ever popular "woodpecker" ditress that is on each and every e-caller is illegal to use.

Shoot straight!

LC
Old 02-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

Hand calls all the way, not bird distress, just bird talk. Most coyotes closest friend will be a magpie. Pup distress on Bugling Bull Game calls Distemper call is one of the best hand calls you can buy.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 PM

Distress calls work great, but when you get to the end of the season,them dogs just don't want to come in as much. Everyone out there thinks they can call dogs anymore, so there getting pretty educated by now. I have been trying to howl for several weeks, and hadn't had much luck. Untill monday. When everything works, and the dogs are there, it's just like the videos. I snuck into a spot and let a locator howl go, and the bush just screamed back at me. So I did somemore small yips, and lower pitched howls go and before I new it,up on the hill was the big ol male that I could hear. Just sitting there looking down the hill. He than slowly made his way to within 100yrds. It was awesome. When it works,that rush is awesome.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fer-Tak-Er View Post
When it works,that rush is awesome.
X2
Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 PM

I've only ever used prey calls up until this past week.

I tried rabbits, birds, jacks, etc for a solid 4-5 days. I switched it up yesterday and started off with howls (male followed by a few females) and within five minutes I had a big male at ~20 yards.

I've been skeptical of howls for ages. This is actually the first time I started a set off with them ever, and it paid off.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 PM

I have a hard time believing that a CO would know or care that someone is using a wounded woodpecker instead of snowshoe in distress.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I have a hard time believing that a CO would know or care that someone is using a wounded woodpecker instead of snowshoe in distress.
Thats what ethics come down to. What you choose to do when no one is looking.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Maybe so....but I don't want to be the one to find out....

I don't agree with it personally but the way the regs are written.....its not allowed.

LC
Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 PM

Hmmm, ethics and coyotes.
There are so many of them, I'm considering land mines, hand grenades, and air strikes.
When we get the numbers down, I'll start considering ethics for coyotes.
On second thought, scratch the hand grenades, my arm aint what it used to be.
I mean LOTS of coyotes.
hh
Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
. Ive taken a large share of my 117 dogs by howling this season.
Not to disrupt the thread but coyote man, am I reading this right? Did you actually shoot 117 coyotes so far this season?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 PM

the very few that i have gotten to come in this year have been on either pup in distress or a challenge howl. I'm not having any luck with rabbit sounds.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Hmmm, ethics and coyotes.
There are so many of them, I'm considering land mines, hand grenades, and air strikes.
When we get the numbers down, I'll start considering ethics for coyotes.
On second thought, scratch the hand grenades, my arm aint what it used to be.
I mean LOTS of coyotes.
hh
If the ethics police come pounding on my door and wake me up I'll PM you and let you know that they onto us. HaHa.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM

Yes i have and all counted on a string by tying knots. Personal best day alone was 11. Been at it for over 40 plus years and my personal best ever. All called and i hope i can add a few more before our bounty runs out at the end of March.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Yes i have and all counted on a string by tying knots. Personal best day alone was 11. Been at it for over 40 plus years and my personal best ever. All called and i hope i can add a few more before our bounty runs out at the end of March.

Your definitely living up to your handle thats for sure. Pretty god darn impressive to say the least. Thanks.