Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 AM

Thanks SD, really hope it goes through.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 AM
sheephunter

Thanks for the update skinny...perhaps you should let Oberle know that's not what is reflected in the draft AGMAG minutes from the last meeting.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:45 AM

I received the same email a few days ago from Frank Oberle.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman View Post
I received the same email a few days ago from Frank Oberle.
Perhaps Oberle is not up to date as to what his staff is saying? There was no mention of further discussion in the draft AGMAG minutes.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned

Oberle just forwards your inquiries to his Executive Assistant and he triages them down the line, a reply is written and then back up the line for Oberle to sign.

Some inquiries may get his personal attention but not very many. Usually they send out an identical pre-written letter to anyone inquiring on the same matter.

This has been my experience anyway with Mel Knight.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsmen101 View Post
Oberle just forwards your inquiries to his Executive Assistant and he triages them down the line, a reply is written and then back up the line for Oberle to sign.

Some inquiries may get his personal attention but not very many. Usually they send out an identical pre-written letter to anyone inquiring on the same matter.

This has been my experience anyway with Mel Knight.
That's why I mentioned that Oberle may not be aware what his staff is up to
Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Thanks for the update skinny...perhaps you should let Oberle know that's not what is reflected in the draft AGMAG minutes from the last meeting.
Sadly it's not even a letter that got to me yet. Two friends that sent letters received this same reply. I have sent a couple letters myself and still have yet to receive the "blanket" reply
Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
Sadly it's not even a letter that got to me yet. Two friends that sent letters received this same reply. I have sent a couple letters myself and still have yet to receive the "blanket" reply
Me neither.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
That's why I mentioned that Oberle may not be aware what his staff is up to
Looks like it will be the same show as Knight ran...the beaurarats I mean crats will be running the Dept.. Too bad the Ministers posting for SRD is considered a "retirement" portfolio.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsmen101 View Post
Looks like it will be the same show as Knight ran...the beaurarats I mean crats will be running the Dept.. Too bad the Ministers posting for SRD is considered a "retirement" portfolio.
Ya, retirement or a stepping stone up. There haven't been many that put any effort into it.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 PM
sheephunter

So here's the official interpretation of the use of pack dogs by hunters:

Quote:
Use of Pack Dogs or Qualified Service Dogs by Big Game Hunters
Big game hunters are expressing increased interest in the use of dogs trained to transport a pack, in particular
when hiking in the foothills and mountains. In addition, hunters have asked how section 45 of the Wildlife Act
applies to the use of qualified service dogs. This fact sheet addresses these situations.
The Wildlife Act, in section 45, makes it illegal to be accompanied by a dog while hunting big game or to
allow a dog to pursue big game. Exceptions are if the hunting occurs under the authority of a damage control
licence (or collection licence) that specifically authorizes use of a dog, or during an open hunting season that
provides for the hunting of big game with dogs (e.g., cougar hunting with dogs during the open season that
traditionally begins on December 1). There are currently no other exceptions provided for being accompanied by a
dog while hunting big game.
The Service Dogs Act prohibits discrimination regarding accommodation, services or facilities on the basis that a
disabled person is accompanied by a service dog. The Service Dogs Qualifications Regulation sets out whether a
dog has the qualifications of a service dog for the purpose of the Act. However, the Service Dogs Act does not
have the effect of exempting a person from the application of section 45 of the Wildlife Act.
Whether a big game hunter can be accompanied by a pack dog from a legal perspective depends on the
actions of the individual, and whether those actions amount to hunting big game. The term "hunt" has a
wide definition under the Wildlife Act and covers many activities. There are exceptions to what is regarded to be
“hunting”, such as when someone is not carrying a weapon and their activity (in relation to wildlife) is restricted to
watching, photographing, drawing or painting a picture.
Application of Section 45 of the Wildlife Act
If a person is to be accompanied by a pack dog, that person must not be hunting big game. To be hunting
legally, a big game hunter must not be accompanied by such a dog. Whether a person’s actions while
accompanied by a dog (when carrying a weapon or not) constitute hunting for big game is a case-by-case
determination. Strictly speaking, if a person does not undertake any of the activities included in the definition of
“hunt” they are not “hunting”, whether or not they are accompanied by a dog. By definition, “hunt” means shoot at,
harass or worry, chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for, capture or
wilfully injure or kill, attempt to capture, injure or kill or assist another person in any of these activities.
Specifically with respect to registered service dogs (used by persons with disabilities), a big game hunter
accompanied by a qualified service dog (per the Service Dogs Act) would not be considered in violation of
section 45 if the dog’s behaviour is limited to its function as a service dog, which in no circumstances
involves pursuing or chasing after big game.
Officer Inquiries and Investigations
If a person appears to be hunting big game while accompanied by a dog, it would be expected that a Fish and
Wildlife Officer would approach them in order to make lawful enquiries.
If you have any further questions relating to hunting regulations, please contact the Fish and Wildlife Division
district office nearest where you live, dialling 310-0000 for toll-free directory assistance within Alberta. If you
observe illegal activity regarding wildlife in Alberta, please contact the nearest Fish and Wildlife Division district
office or dial Report A Poacher at 1-800-642-3800; callers can remain anonymous and may qualify for a reward.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
I guess this is the official delay letter from SRD:

Thank you for your recent email regarding the use of pack dogs while hunting in Alberta. I
welcome the opportunity to provide the following information.
Sustainable Resource Development makes substantive changes to the hunting regulations
every two years. As part of this cycle, the next major changes are scheduled for 2013. A
number of suggestions, including the use of pack dogs, are currently under active discussion
through the established consultation process for the 2013 hunting regulations. No decision
has been made at this point on any regulation concerning pack dogs.
Public consultation on hunting regulations is conducted within a community of stakeholders,
who are represented on the Alberta Game Management Advisory Group (AGMAG). Earlier
this year, the Alberta Fish and Game Association presented their resolution calling on
Sustainable Resource Development to permit the use of pack dogs while hunting big game in
the 400-series Wildlife Management Units. Members of the AGMAG are now consulting
with their constituents on all resolutions and will meet again for further discussion and
debate. In the meantime, department wildlife biologists will continue to gather information
on the use of pack dogs in Alberta as well as other jurisdictions.
Thank you for taking the time to share your views.
We appreciate your input and will consider it as part of the consultation process.

Sincerely,

Frank Oberle
Minister

Thats the same message i received as well SkinnyD.
The more voices the better if you believe in the use of Pack Dogs!!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:49 PM

We have a large dog and have taken her in the NWT sheep hunting...she walks behind, stalks behind and stays when told to for the stalk. She also does not chase any wildlife when out for hikes and has stood her ground with a grizz before.
I think that people, rather than the dogs, are the problem. If a person trains a dog properly, then it shouldn't be an issue. But I am all for the regulation (albeit we would love to have her along with us in AB) because of the people that do not train their dogs properly and think that they are "perfect little pooches".
I do not believe there is a way to ensure only dogs that are properly trained are out on hunts. So, I guess for safety reasons, they don't want any dogs on hunts.
I do not like the regulation, but I agree with it because of human stupidity in taking untrained dogs out.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
And Oko, come on, I seen you stopping at Safeway for a jar of peanut butter before heading out to the grouse fiields with ol Bessie.????
You certainly did not. Safeway has made it abundantly clear my patronage is no longer required. Tight-azzes.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunshphntn View Post
I do not like the regulation, but I agree with it because of human stupidity in taking untrained dogs out.
Seems to work okay everywhere else along the mountains in North America and for all Albertans except those with a big game tag in their pocket. Not sure why a person having a big game tag in their pocket in Alberta would be any different. There is already regulations to deal with untrained dogs.