Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-09-2008, 11:51 AM

Default Draw and Priorities

Hi Guys

I'm new to this message board, but a long time hunter in Alberta. I've lived all my life in Alberta and happy to welcome all the new people to our great province. I also believe that we have a great resource and am more than happy to share the resource with non-residents. What get my goat is that their are certain spiecies that are very limited in our province, like antelope, pheasants, elk but yet they are available to resident and non residents alike. Alberta is the only province that allows non residents to hunt antelope and pheasants. All other provinces limit these animals to only to residents because their numbers are so limited. In Alberta you now are lucky if you get an antelope licience once every 5 or 6 years, and pheasant numbers are so down they are only a fraction of what they were 10 years ago. I had no problem with non residents hunt these game animals years ago when they were plentiful or hunting any other games where there are no quotas. But I believe draws, especially draws with high demand and long wait times should be for residents only. (As in most other states and provinces.) Especially sinces its our tax dollars that support the habitat that support these animails. What do you guys think?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 PM

I dont agree. If the numbers were that low the wildlife managers would have changed it. they do a lot of surveys aand numer counting to make sure the numbers are there. I trust there decision to keep it open to everyone.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:04 PM

I agree that the draws should be for all, non residents included.

I dont think they should have to be under a resident draw # when they do it. If they get drawn they still need a host and they dont have to be with the host that they drew under when they come to hunt?

If a friend puts under with my WIN# , then my pritories if I was a 3 goes to 0 for the draw of that year, if he never put in before. Why is that????

Take a kid hunting and see some great smiles
Old 03-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Look at the draws from the opposite perspective. If you have a seven and he has a 0 and gets drawn for a tag on your seven, 9000 of us would be kind of grouchy. It probably saves a lot of grief if they go through them by hand and miss one.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Look at the draws from the opposite perspective. If you have a seven and he has a 0 and gets drawn for a tag on your seven, 9000 of us would be kind of grouchy. It probably saves a lot of grief if they go through them by hand and miss one.
Guess what iam trying to say I should get drawn even if he doesnt? I shouldnt be put back because he got a chance to draw using my #.

Take a kid hunting and see some great smiles
Old 03-09-2008, 02:41 PM

just a side track for a moment when do the draw books come out
Old 03-09-2008, 03:24 PM

june
Old 03-09-2008, 04:37 PM

I think that we should have a reciprocal system for non-residents.
For instance, Albertans can't hunt mule deer in Saskatchewan - then they shouldn't be able to hunt 'draw' animals in Alberta.

If B.C. wants to charge Albertans twice what they charge their own residents for an annual fishing license, then that's what we should charge them.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:24 PM

I agree to a point. The amount Alberta charges for non-residents fees is dramatically less than other provinces and states. The fees should be a lot higher. Especially for game spieces where the liciences are very restricted. We supported the habitat that supports the wildlife with our taxes and we should be the first to enjoy the rewards and have priority over non-resident, as in other provinces or states (e.g. Sask/Montana).
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 PM

Lynx wrote:

"Guess what iam trying to say I should get drawn even if he doesnt? I shouldnt be put back because he got a chance to draw using my #."

Have to disagree. If you want to get drawn dont apply with someone with low priority, apply alone. If you put in together you use the guy with the lowest priority, seems fair to me. If you apply together you both get a tag. If your 3 buddies have no priority built up and you have a 7 for antelope, hard to draw elk or moose etc why should you and your buddies get 4 tags when other guys have been building priority for almost a decade?

I think our draw system in its current form is great and very fair.

If it is moose you are looking at why dont you apply, by yourself and when you get drawn your budy can get a partners tag, while your buddy builds up some priority??