Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-07-2008, 01:31 PM

Default CWD questions

I was just reading the cull thread and I'm a little confused about something. The heads from the cull tags are turned in for testing, and the hunter is notified with the results. The way I understand it some are waiting for the results before consuming the meat, correct? There are also issues with donating the meat from the F&W cull going on because some animals may be infected, correct? I was always under the impression that as long as you didn't eat the brains or spinal cord the meat was safe for consumption. Is this still the case, or have they (scientists/biologists) changed their stance on this? Just curious.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:57 PM

DelburneDave,
I took 3 deer out of WMU 234 last season on the quota tags...I still haven't received anything from F&W regarding these deer. I just ate 'em. I thought the same thing, that it was similar to BSE in cattle.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:10 PM

Default Meat

There is no evidence that humans can get CWD but like everything there might be a low risk so it is recomended to wait for the results.

I took deer from 234, 200 and 730 and just waited for the results. All I did debone the meat and label each bag. Once I got my letter, I took it for processing (sausage and burger).

I also ate my tenderloins but never shared them. I figured I am willing to take the chance but figured it wasn't worth it for my kids or others as we had lots of other meat.

The meat from the cull all goes into large reefer trucks until all the results are in. If there are positives the meat with the matching ID is taken out but the rest of the meat is handed out.

I did not have any problem getting my results or looking for the info on the RELM website. If you did not get a letter yet I would call.

Many CWD tags did not have proper mailing info, WIN# had old address, etc...They are not mind readings and looking up all your info takes additional time. I heard a story from a CWD tech that one guy had no info at all and called in and read his number from his green tag wondering why he did not get a letter.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I also ate my tenderloins but never shared them

I use the same excuse.