-What to look for and consider?
-Trane/Carrier/Lennox?
-Going rates approx?
-Do's/Dont's
-General advice.

Its a 1300 sqft bungalow.

Thanks in advance gents.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Most of the major furnace brands are made by the same two groups: Lennox and Carrrier. Not alot of difference out there. As for Installers, both big makers have bought out the major installers hence they only sell one brand or the other. Price quotes are curiously competitive with the big installers. Look to the little installers for price competition.

Your house now has to go to the high efficiency furnaces, as mid efficiency were discontinued last year, and stock likely is sold out now on the mid efficiency furnaces. There will be a power vent retrofit needed for air / exhaust supply, assuming you have make up air already in the furnace room. You may as well upgrade the hot water tank at this time as well to a power vent system when you have the guys on site doing the retrofits. Hot water tanks draw alot of gas and the new ones are really good for efficiency, ove r what you likely have.

As for DC drives, most already are when they are high efficiency, but the variable speed furnaces arguably don't add alot for the extra price over the fixed speed furnaces. AYork TG9 (built by Johnson Controls) is rated 95 % efficiency, and I am happy with mine.

Drewski
Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

Hey DC, Do you have the time to tell us about this dc drive and/or this variable speed stuff. When I get to the rebuild stage, this spring, this will be some things I should be aware of...THX...
Old 11-10-2011, 01:56 PM

I am not sure if the ecoenergy grants count for new houses but it is a significant amount for the replacement furnaces. Need to get an eco assessment done before you replace the furnace though.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:32 PM

If you want call Greg at AK Climate control small out fit competive prices and does very good work 780 937 8631 me and all my friends use him and we gerw up together .