Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Default Elk rut 346,348

Was out a couple weeks ago elk were calling pretty hard just wondering if anyone knows if there still in rut or has it calmed down
Old 09-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

been hunting 348 for many years. have family that live in the bush and log there... its been about 5 years since we have heard an elk bugle. used to hear them all night sitting outside by the fire. all you hear now is wolves howling. the elk are there tho but im thinking they are to shy to make noise. do you hear them closer to where you are there in peers?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:37 PM

We have a cabin at long lake just north of peers we havent heard any bugling this year in bush. May be more elk on the farm land
Old 09-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

yeah idk whats up. whether its the wolves or what. who knows
Old 10-03-2011, 03:14 AM

I know in 349 i have seen more wolves in that area than any other year. usually see one or two maybe all hunting season. I've seen one or two a day.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Just got back from a 5 day elk hunt in the 346, never heard a single bugle, some cow chirps, the road warriors have pushed the elk so far back into the bush and also the rut for the most part has ended out there so they have gone virtually silent. Some local friends of mine around there say the second rut will start in about a week but will last for no more then a week and also they will not bugle nearly as much as the august/sept rut.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Hi there,

I've been hunting elk in 348 for 14 years, back when i started hunting there it was absolutly incredible, lots of bugling and action, now with all the predators around bull are becoming more bugle shy.

I was out this year from Sept 16-23 and i heard probably a total of 30 bugles
and about 20 of which were from the same bull the first morning.

The bugles were all heard in the first 4 days and after that nothing if the sense predators are around they shut right up.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 AM

Might of been anouther hunter you heard calling
Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 AM

No, Because i saw those bulls. Actually my hunting buddy which he's a very good shot with an uncontrolable buck fever had the super rare chance to shoot 3 arrows at the same bull, all inside 40 yards in a fearly open wood in a 2 minutes period. He did hit that bull, but anyway that's an other story.

That bull that we heard bugling around 10:00 am on the 17 th Sept. was bugling to every cow call i made and at about 11:15 am he couldn't take it no more and came in hard to within 20 yards of my buddy and the rest is history. This bull is a little more educated than he was before he encounter
us, too bad this was a very respectable 5X.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Default Gonna do a Shameless pump for elk info here..

And I'm sorry ot do it. But now that I live down south, I just don't have the ability to put the legwork-time in.

We have a hujnting cabin in the nojack-makay area of 348. We mostly whack big whitetails and mulies there... and we used to pull out moose till it went on draw... but we've always come up short on elk.
All I want to know from someone experienced is if they have had success for bulls in that area ... kindof around beta lake? I won;t ask for specific honey holes... thats a bit rude... but if someone really wants to swap honey hole info.. I can take them on a kick but Pheasant hunt possibly.. we have the dog! Fire me a PM

My daughter just started hunting and my dads gettin up there in age, so I owuld love it of they could go up there and connect on one together(dad won't come down here for elk, and he just can't do the mountains).

just puttin it out there...
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."

Last edited by bessiedog; 10-04-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 AM

Beta Lake area used to be awesome for elk but now not so much. Julien Vida's (RIP) place used to rock but not anymore. Got my best bow kill bull elk south west of Beta in 1998. Things were slim pickings for a few years but the elk are back. Unfortunately some of the best land is now posted thanks to some less than honorable hunters from out of the zone but fortunately for me, my cousins own the land so I still hunt there. Another hot spot lately has been north west of Beta Lake along the Beaver Meadow Hall road. Those same out of zone hunters got some other fantastic land posted as well along the Lobstick river.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:51 PM

I hunt 348 a lot. been hearing tons of reports of lots of cougars and wolves in that zone recently. Its starting to look like hunters need to be getting together and targeting wolves in the off season. Start helping out the other animals in the areas. Just a thought though.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Beta Lake area used to be awesome for elk but now not so much. Julien Vida's (RIP) place used to rock but not anymore. Got my best bow kill bull elk south west of Beta in 1998. Things were slim pickings for a few years but the elk are back. Unfortunately some of the best land is now posted thanks to some less than honorable hunters from out of the zone but fortunately for me, my cousins own the land so I still hunt there. Another hot spot lately has been north west of Beta Lake along the Beaver Meadow Hall road. Those same out of zone hunters got some other fantastic land posted as well along the Lobstick river.
yep found a a small heard this summer behind beta lake gas plant to west of it actually... about halfway to the niton road... talked to a farmer who said the elk totally ruined his hay last winter and gave me and any of my freinds that wish to hunt it permission on his land... also like you were saying north west of beta lake in around dead mans hill used to be awesome... not so much anymore... i have family that lives right near the beaver meadow hall road and spend ALOT of time out there year round.... tons of wolf and cougar sign... 14 year old cousin was in a stand 2 years ago and shot one that jumped up in the tree beside him and started flicking his tail... srd now has that cat mounted in its head office in edmonton... it was a big boy forsure... to bad we couldnt keep it... i think he still has nightmares of the 15 yard bow shot