Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-04-2011, 02:15 PM

Question New to trail cams

I am sure that this has been posted at least once, But none-the-less, I am thinking of getting a cam or two for my birthday. So with that in mind what should I be looking for when selecting a cam??? How often would a guy get the pics off?? how long do the batteries usually last?? I think thats all the questions I have, other then placement, in your experiences whats the best placement??? thanks wingerr7mm
Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
So with that in mind what should I be looking for when selecting a cam???
First question, what is your price range? You can spend anywhere from $85-$750.

Quote:
How often would a guy get the pics off??
My cameras close to home get checked every 7-10 days. The one that are more than an hour away every 2-3 weeks. Unless I happen to be near them then I would check them once a week.

Quote:
how long do the batteries usually last??
All depends on the brand. I have heard as low as a few hundred pics and up to 6000. My cameras I get over 2000 pics to a set of batteries.

Quote:
I think thats all the questions I have, other then placement, in your experiences whats the best placement???
Best placed in areas where they travel. ie game trails, watering holes, food sources. Place your camera so it shoots down the trail. That way you can get coming and going pictures. If you face it 90 degrees to the trail you may only get one pic when its right in front of the camera.

Here is a link to a poll I posted a couple weeks ago. Might be some info here that helps you.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=trail

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Default Thanks rockymtnx

Hey thanks for the info I appreiciate it. I will post some pics if I can manage to get any decent ones. winger7mm
Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 PM

Figured I'd bring this thread back to life. I don't know much about trail cams, but am thinking of picking up a couple. I don't want to break the bank on them either. Things to look for or avoid? Any suggestions on makes and models to look at or avoid? Figure they'd be neat to have along on our annual WT hunts.
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 AM

I just bought a couple of the Wild Game Innovations micro 6mpix cameras and they work well for me. Pics are good out of them for their intentions. Price isn't bad either, $150ish at Bass Pro and a little cheaper on Ebay if you can wait for them in the mail.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 AM

Default lock them up

might i suggest getting the stuff to lock them to the tree. put some out and went to check them in 302 low and behold one is gone.checked them 2 wks ago all good went out yesterday its gone. limited guys are allowed on land and im the mechanic for the ranch so will be checking the list of who was allowed in.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 AM

I have 2 reconyx, cudde,spypoint,and 2 old moultre.Reconyx awsome,fast batterys last whole season, Cudde dont like much for the price.I check my cams every 2 weeks and rotate locations every 2nd time out. set up shooting down trails if possible.