Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM

Default moose hunting tips

hello everyone, i have a question for you. I am new to moose hunting and yesterday and today i was able to call a bull in with a cow call but he stayed in the brushes. He would not show himself at all. The wind was in my favour but he wouldn't come out. I then tried calling him with a bull call and raked the bushes to initiate some kind of respond, no response. I could hear him moving in the bushes the whole time. Does anyone have any tips on getting this guy to come out? Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 05:59 PM

He had his girlfriend with him, when that happpens its harder to get him to come to you. I have heard you should get aggressive with your bull calls and move towards him. Make him think your coming after his girl. If he winded you, it wont matter, he wont come out if he figured out your not a moose.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 PM

thanks for the reply, that makes sense what you wrote.its just so weird i cow call and you can hear him moving towards me but he never comes out .I am a little nervous to go towards him. How long will he be hanging around his girlfriend?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 PM

Default Moose

To me it sounds like he is cowed up..He may come a short distance but will turn and go back to the cow..Myself I have called cow until he comes toward you and when he turns or stops call bull away from him and start to move towards him..Make noise as if you are a moose yourself..With luck he will wait for a visual..Hopefully you will see him before he sees you..Be careful as he may take a run in your direction to drive off the unseen bull..Best of luck!
T
Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Gone Hunting

There is a trick an old trapper told me to try in such situations.

He said, put your head down and charge right at him, grunting like a bull.
He'll think you're another bull and he'll stand and wait for you.

I said, you go ahead, as for me, no thank you!!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:40 PM

Thank you all for the great advice. I am not sure if i have the guts to charge at the bull,plus i am hunting alone.I guess i will have to see if i am brave enough to do that. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanner View Post
Thank you all for the great advice. I am not sure if i have the guts to charge at the bull,plus i am hunting alone.I guess i will have to see if i am brave enough to do that. Thanks everyone!
No guts, no glory!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanner View Post
LOL You and me too. I think it would probably work, but I'm never going to try it.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Banned

Check out what this guy does after calling a bull pretty much right into his lap. I've had some interesting results holding a canoe paddle over my head and flashing it around like a bull but have never quite conected while doing it, apparently you dont need a canoe paddle to make it work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teNaAdGAInM
Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Check out what this guy does after calling a bull pretty much right into his lap. I've had some interesting results holding a canoe paddle over my head and flashing it around like a bull but have never quite conected while doing it, apparently you dont need a canoe paddle to make it work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teNaAdGAInM
Pretty cool video, but that's an Ontario Moose, they aint as bright as a Western Moose.