Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 PM

I think most everyone who isn't a landowner are concerned about a few things. Hunting access and trophy quality are my main concerns and I suspect most hunters concerns. The reality of maintaining trophy quality is only a certain amount of bucks can be taken to have a consistant quality across the zone. Landowner tags can be built into the number of bucks taken but there should be a limit otherwise too many bucks will be taken and trophy quality get hurt. As well there needs to a balance of landowner tags and regular resident tags otherwise hunting becomes an activity of landowners only. What though are your thoughts on landowners having to give access though in order to take advantage of the landowner license. I have come across landowners who refuse access to everyone (yet hunt with the landowner license), these people in my opinion should not get one of these licenses.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I think most everyone who isn't a landowner are concerned about a few things. Hunting access and trophy quality are my main concerns and I suspect most hunters concerns. The reality of maintaining trophy quality is only a certain amount of bucks can be taken to have a consistant quality across the zone. Landowner tags can be built into the number of bucks taken but there should be a limit otherwise too many bucks will be taken and trophy quality get hurt. As well there needs to a balance of landowner tags and regular resident tags otherwise hunting becomes an activity of landowners only. What though are your thoughts on landowners having to give access though in order to take advantage of the landowner license. I have come across landowners who refuse access to everyone (yet hunt with the landowner license), these people in my opinion should not get one of these licenses.
Or maybe the landowner gets first crack at the big buck and after he has killed it then he has to let other hunters on?

How does that work for you?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
That is the stupidest thing that I have heard in a while. If I don't let you and all your friends hunt on my land I can't get a landowners tag. Sounds like that would probably work. HA HA HA!!. If that rule ever came into effect I would assume that all landowners would post there land, and only us would hunt on it with our draw tags. The rest of you would have to cram into the public parcels and fight amongst yourselves while we wait until we get drawn and shot a cranker every 2 to 3 years and not an good one every year.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
That is the stupidest thing that I have heard in a while. If I don't let you and all your friends hunt on my land I can't get a landowners tag. Sounds like that would probably work. HA HA HA!!. If that rule ever came into effect I would assume that all landowners would post there land, and only us would hunt on it with our draw tags. The rest of you would have to cram into the public parcels and fight amongst yourselves while we wait until we get drawn and shot a cranker every 2 to 3 years and not an good one every year.
Rick how much did you pay for all your land???? Not your dad or his dad or his dad??? How many millions did you pay? I bet you and every other farmer or ranch got there land by some one giving it to them. So why is it that you and all others get mad that I think it aint rite about land owners tags?????
Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
Rick how much did you pay for all your land???? Not your dad or his dad or his dad??? How many millions did you pay? I bet you and every other farmer or ranch got there land by some one giving it to them. So why is it that you and all others get mad that I think it aint rite about land owners tags?????
I'm not mad. I just don't think it should be as big of an issue as it is. I get one every year incase I see a big buck. There has been years that I haven't used it. As it looks right now, I won't be using it this year as well.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 PM

You can can get a general mule deer tag. I can get a landowners. I can't get both. One or the other. Regardless of what it is shot with. I have more restrictions on where I can shoot one. That is my only disadvantage.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
You can can get a general mule deer tag. I can get a landowners. I can't get both. One or the other. Regardless of what it is shot with. I have more restrictions on where I can shoot one. That is my only disadvantage.
Exactly, the LO tag is only the holy grail to those who don't qualify. Those who choose to use it have choosen not to use someother oppertunity !!
Interesting how some people think they have more rights than say a non resident hunter but scream foul when they think the farmer is getting treated better than them.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:54 PM

I'm not saying the landowner would have to allow EVERYONE on but they would have to allow SOME on in order to get the landowner license. If not then the landowner can be their miserly self hogging all your land to themselves, not allowing access to anyone which they were doing anyways, at least the trophy quality in the area wouldn't get hurt by them killing a buck every year.Doing this would provide the incentive to allow hunting on their land AND allow the landowner the opportunity to hunt the mule buck. If I was a landowner (which I will be someday) I would (and will) restrict access to those who I thought were respectful and cared about the land on which they were hunting.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying the landowner would have to allow EVERYONE on but they would have to allow SOME on in order to get the landowner license. If not then the landowner can be their miserly self hogging all your land to themselves, not allowing access to anyone which they were doing anyways, at least the trophy quality in the area wouldn't get hurt by them killing a buck every year.Doing this would provide the incentive to allow hunting on their land AND allow the landowner the opportunity to hunt the mule buck. If I was a landowner (which I will be someday) I would (and will) restrict access to those who I thought were respectful and cared about the land on which they were hunting.
That also makes no sense. I should let you and a few others on to each shoot a buck so I can get my landowners tag. So let me do the math. 1+6 carry the 9 <3 = 3 or 4 bucks will die on my land if i let others hunt instead of only 1 if I do, and that is going to increase trophy quality or your potential to shoot a trophy. I think I'll let the forum decide.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
i dont see an answer to that coming in the near future.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i dont see an answer to that coming in the near future.
Pretty sure if you bothered to read that I did answer that question.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 PM

Landowner's Own LAND....Not Alberta's Wildlife!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Here
Old 11-02-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not mad. I just don't think it should be as big of an issue as it is. I get one every year incase I see a big buck. There has been years that I haven't used it. As it looks right now, I won't be using it this year as well.
And here
Old 11-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Not me, got my mortgage payment breakdown in the mail yesterday.

It is none of your business where anyone got any of their land. The owners name is on it and that is all there is to it. They own it. Seems self explanatory to me.

Now put away the tears and go out hunting, I'm sure there is a landowner somewhere you haven't offended.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post

It is none of your business where anyone got any of their land. The owners name is on it and that is all there is to it. They own it. Seems self explanatory to me.

Now put away the tears and go out hunting, I'm sure there is a landowner somewhere you haven't offended.
I bet there isn't.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
That also makes no sense. I should let you and a few others on to each shoot a buck so I can get my landowners tag. So let me do the math. 1+6 carry the 9 <3 = 3 or 4 bucks will die on my land if i let others hunt instead of only 1 if I do, and that is going to increase trophy quality or your potential to shoot a trophy. I think I'll let the forum decide.
If you aren't going to allow anyone at all on your land to hunt I frankly don't care about you getting a landowner license. As far as it helping the trophy quality in the area allowing hunters on would certainly help the overall area. F&W is going to issue a certain amount of tags for a zone based on the population. If a good chunk of land is blocked off from permission then everyone who has tags is going to concentrate in the rest of the zone where permission is allowed and wipe out the population in those areas. The zone would turn into a place where certain landowners are overrun and everywhere else is devoid of wildlife. Compare that to a zone where permission is granted widely and you will see an zone with a fairly steady concentration of animals. I know which option I would choose.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

I was makeing apoint smart guy.... The point is that 90% of alberta was not payed for at all. It has been handed down for generations..... How bout I come to your land..... Were is it so I can come collect some of my tax money back.....
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 PM

The main thing that has to be taken into consideration isnt weither or not the landowner gets the tag or not its how he uses it. Rhino thank you for being selective with your tag. but in all reality land owner tags are really biased against the urban population (and which is now the norm). everyone has there bias'... my major problem is understanding why is it that because you are born in a different region of alberta you are given more oppurtunity to hunt... I live in calgary but every part of my heart and soul is in the wild. so why is it that i have to wait 5-7 years to get a mule deer buck tag to use my rifle to hunt the deer while a landowner that IMO lives a better lifestyle already now gets the advantage to hunt more?? (and I have the opinion of the lifestyle from close family, friends and personal expeirence) If this is the proper way to acheive a balanced draw system, something in alberta is straight *****ed

Justin.C made strong points about the populations compared to saskatchewan. cause in all reality alberta has the potential yet alberta SRD squanders the oppurtunity to produce large deer.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are the eception on who ONLY holds out for mister big.. Most shoot a dink.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
If you want to come up here Ill take you to Farm credit and show you how much i paid for my land....... Im almost 1.5 million in the hole buying land, yes i was given 5 quarters of land and then I used it to finance my others..... Wonder why we as landowners only let the very close friends on our land, with attitudes like yours you give hunters everywhere a bad name..........
Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
If you want to come up here Ill take you to Farm credit and show you how much i paid for my land....... Im almost 1.5 million in the hole buying land, yes i was given 5 quarters of land and then I used it to finance my others..... Wonder why we as landowners only let the very close friends on our land, with attitudes like yours you give hunters everywhere a bad name..........
You can take you land and do what ever you want.... You wonder why people shoot with no permission, poach deer and what ever else you complain about?????? I will tell you. Cause you think you are the only one entitled to anything cause you have land that you never payed a dime for and you finaced it for another... Take away that land that you got for FREE and you would not own that other piece would you?????????? Also send me your address I do want to come see.

Last edited by Justin.C; 11-02-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I was makeing apoint smart guy.... The point is that 90% of alberta was not payed for at all. It has been handed down for generations..... How bout I come to your land..... Were is it so I can come collect some of my tax money back.....
You sure seem to know the agriculture industry. I'm impressed. It still doesn't change the fact that the the landowner is the landowner.

What tax money is it that you wish to collect back?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:

I have a WAY better idea than all you. Let's ease the restrictions on land owner tags and encourage land owners to NOT provide access to any body but friends, family and of course the noble land owner. That way all those dum city slicks who make way more money then you do come out and bid up the price of the land. Of course anything with a creek or crops that ungulates love is gonna make it to a pretty big price. Then you can pay more tax on your land! Not to mention they don't want to cut all that fine feed down... So the next time you need to buy a bale it can cost more!
"But wait!" You say? "City slicks can't farm!" Don't worry they will just hire some mega commercial outfit to work the land, ya know the kind of outfit that buys nothing locally and runs family farms out of business?
Then the real kicker will be the next good flood or hail... When all those recently educated city slick farms (and yours) get the crops pounded down... Those guys are going to be all over voting for a government that provides you with flood assistance... But not them because they rent out the land.

Be careful what you wish for. There are more then one stake holder in this game.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 PM

You guys are fighting like children.

TBark
Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
You can take you land and do what ever you want.... You wonder why people shoot with no permission, poach deer and what ever else you complain about?????? I will tell you. Cause you think you are the only one entitled to anything cause you have land that you never payed a dime for and you finaced it for another... Take away that land that you got for FREE and you would not own that other piece would you?????????? I hope you choke on the animal you shot with your land owner tag... Also send me your address I do want to come see you.
Now you are threatening people on an open forum. You weren't an above average student, were you?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I have a WAY better idea than all you. Let's ease the restrictions on land owner tags and encourage land owners to NOT provide access to any body but friends, family and of course the noble land owner. That way all those dum city slicks who make way more money then you do come out and bid up the price of the land. Of course anything with a creek or crops that ungulates love is gonna make it to a pretty big price. Then you can pay more tax on your land! Not to mention they don't want to cut all that fine feed down... So the next time you need to buy a bale it can cost more!
"But wait!" You say? "City slicks can't farm!" Don't worry they will just hire some mega commercial outfit to work the land, ya know the kind of outfit that buys nothing locally and runs family farms out of business?
Then the real kicker will be the next good flood or hail... When all those recently educated city slick farms (and yours) get the crops pounded down... Those guys are going to be all over voting for a government that provides you with flood assistance... But not them because they rent out the land.

Be careful what you wish for. There are more then one stake holder in this game.
There are no Mule buck landowner tags in Saskatchewan and alot of other provinces where there are no issue's,so your above post is irrelavant! Do you dream in color?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post

Not sure what that rant is all about but OK. Some people believe landowners aren't allowed to own land. If that is your view that is fine.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
You sure seem to know the agriculture industry. I'm impressed. It still doesn't change the fact that the the landowner is the landowner.

What tax money is it that you wish to collect back?
All the help farmer get from the government. I grew up in the country. I also have a very large number of very close landowner freinds that dont ever get tags thogh the program.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 PM

holy moly justin no need to wish harm on someone... this isn't more important than life