Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post

As to the R value, there is the real R value of the foam and concrete, and then there is effective R value which accounts for the lack of thermal bridging, the mass effect of the concrete slowing temperature fluctuations, and the decrease in air exchange.
that seems to be the same as what the owner/salesman said too.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-14-2008, 02:03 PM

That ICF is amazing material if installed by the poper people. If not it can be ther biggest nightmare. I have been involved with one contractor I walked away from because he said he knew what he was doing, but when we started to pour at -28 and it was 11pm and it was a deal on the concrete it had me wondering.
Three days later I went back to check up on things, there were air pockets all over especially in the corners.

Now that I have scared you.

When built properly, this by far is the most efficient way to build heat and maintain your home.
If you see a ICF home being built around your place stop in and lean your body up against the foam. See how warm you get from the insulation and your body heat.
Now go up to a conventionally insulated home and do the same thing.
Not the same reaction, nor the same warmth. The ICF will also help keep your house cooler in the summer time.
To take full advantage of it you have to build from ground up completely with it.
It does cost alot of money to have one built properly, so if this is even an idea shop around and ask alot of questions and ask to see finished products.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:52 PM

my brotherinlaw is involved with a company in cardston that manufactures insulated walls or something to that effect....if anyone is interested i can find out more....pm me if you want more info
Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 PM

We are using the earth's exterior environment and we are changing it for good or bad. Now we are talking about using the earth's interior environment for heating and cooling our buildings. Here's the question, can we screw up the interior like we have supposedly screwed up the exterior, could we by pumping heat into the earth or pumping heat out of the earth screw the earth up years from now? Fifty to a hundred years ago we thought burying garbage and pumping sewage out to sea was okay, what could be the ramifications of geothermal heating and cooling fifty to a hundred years from now?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:59 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the energy/heat used in these shallow systems mostly come from the Sun's surface heating which is continually recharging rather than geothermal heat like that from hotsprings.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the energy/heat used in these shallow systems mostly come from the Sun's surface heating which is continually recharging rather than geothermal heat like that from hotsprings.
What he said.

Geothermal systems can also draw from large bodies of water such as lakes. We are not tapping the earths core people, just the very top of the crust. Were that even true, look at what the Scandanavians are doing with enery captured from hot springs. Entire cities have central heating and domestic hot water provided by it. Its energy the earth is releasing anyways, they're just utilizing it on its way out.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Default Natural gas Forced air 96%....

I havebeen in the Heating buisness for 28 years supplying comfort systems to southern Alberta Homes. At the current rate of code changes an availability of trained service people buy what you can have serviced in 10 yearss. You have to have a whole house air exchange system when using boiler heat to avoid unhealthy air and the bild up of moisture which could lead to hidden molds in the tightly sealed homes today. I recomend a Natural gas Forced air system supported by a infloor hydronic system for the basement and Garage. Also would use a Bradford white combination storage waterheater with built in stainless steal heat exchanger which does both your domestic hot water and floor heating. Very little maintence and less repairs than most boilers.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Now, what are the recommendations if one wanted to build a basementless house, with greater main level area?

Personally, I hate basements for myself because I don't believe I spend enough time using that space when I can get the same living areas by building with more square footage. I have a house in Edmonton right now, but may have a handle on some land just outside. I have to decide if I'm going to spend a lot on finishing the basement, upgrade upstairs, and doing sidewalks and landscaping that the previous owner never did. I stole the house and value has doubled, but I can't help wondering if it's worth putting that much money into.

Last edited by ElkCanyon; 02-16-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:23 PM

if anyone is interested..check out www.GreenBuilt.ca and look at the sip wall systems.

less waste, high R value, no mold, fire resistant etc etc etc......my brother inlaw works for the company and i may be able to swing a bit of a deal if anyone is interested. pm me more his number etc...he would love to talk to anyone interested in the product.