Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 PM

Default Electronique deer and moose call

Hi Guys, I was at WSS today buying my bulets and was looking at those electronique moose and deer calls. I found one cheap at $ 70 with remote and 10 type of calls. I was wondering if someone of you guys use them and have good results.
Thanks in advance and you guys have a great hunting season.
Eric.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:32 PM
sheephunter

Illegal in Alberta.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Banned

Ugghh
Old 09-12-2011, 04:43 PM

Oups !!!! Sorry about that.
So let's forget that thread please.
Eric.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric hunter View Post
Oups !!!! Sorry about that.
So let's forget that thread please.
Eric.
Yep your probably not the only one I think it is irresposible for stores to sell that crap without a disclaimer.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Illegal in Alberta.
C'mon Sheep, no they aren't. A person can legally use them and have very "good results"... taking pictures, watching them, calling them for fun... Just don't be holding a gun or bow or have anyone else nearby who is. LOL
Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
C'mon Sheep, no they aren't. A person can legally use them and have very "good results"... taking pictures, watching them, calling them for fun... Just don't be holding a gun or bow. LOL
LOL....kind of like baiting.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
LOL....kind of like baiting.
I wasn't actually suggesting anything sneaky or semi-illegal. Just pointing out for the OP that they are illegal to use for hunting, but can be used legally if you are not hunting.

I do wonder how far out the term "hunting" would be defined... say it's a good period before hunting season (weeks, a month)... you are out scouting, no gun. You use a call to locate animals. I suppose the more energetic enforcement officer would call that hunting with an e-call.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I wasn't actually suggesting anything sneaky or semi-illegal. Just pointing out for the OP that they are illegal to use for hunting, but can be used legally if you are not hunting.

I do wonder how far out the term "hunting" would be defined... say it's a good period before hunting season (weeks, a month)... you are out scouting, no gun. You use a call to locate animals. I suppose the more energetic enforcement officer would call that hunting with an e-call.
Or harassing wildlife....lol
Old 09-12-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
C'mon Sheep, no they aren't. A person can legally use them and have very "good results"... taking pictures, watching them, calling them for fun... Just don't be holding a gun or bow or have anyone else nearby who is. LOL
I could be wrong, but I believe this is considered harassment of wildlife.

Some areas allow the use of electronic calls, and some hunters who purchase goods in Alberta, don't always hunt in Alberta. Electronic calls can be used elsewhere, where use is permitted. I agree there should be a disclaimer on the shelf, and a reminder to read the local regulations.

What you can do Eric, is study up on the type of calls and what they should sound like. Then you can work on duplicating those calls with your own mouth powered call and calling technique. Hunting apps for the iPhone, or even youtube can be a great resource for tips on how each call should sound, and when to use each call.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Gone Hunting

FYI they are junk. Get a hand call. They work and they are legal.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Perfectly legal for some predator hunting like coyote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Perfectly legal for some predator hunting like coyote
Not moose and deer sounds aren't.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
X2....

Up until recently electronic rabbit calls were not allowed as well....that has now been changed I think.

LC
Old 09-13-2011, 02:36 AM

[QUOTE=Okotokian;1077332] I wasn't actually suggesting anything sneaky or semi-illegal. Just pointing out for the OP that they are illegal to use for hunting, but can be used legally if you are not hunting.

I do wonder how far out the term "hunting" would be defined... say it's a good period before hunting season (weeks, a month)... you are out scouting, no gun. You use a call to locate animals. I suppose the more energetic enforcement officer would call that hunting with an e-call

look up the definiton of hunting in the wildlife act. basically if you are in the field with a rifle and intend of killing something its hunting. hard to hunt something with no weapon tho. always be on the side of caution.
However it could be constood as harassing wildlife. i said could.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric hunter View Post
Hi Guys, I was at WSS today buying my bulets and was looking at those electronique moose and deer calls. I found one cheap at $ 70 with remote and 10 type of calls. I was wondering if someone of you guys use them and have good results.
Thanks in advance and you guys have a great hunting season.
Eric.
wss should take it back , just tell them its illegal
Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
wss should take it back , just tell them its illegal
The OP should return it to WSS if they don't want it and think they will not use it..

It is NOT illegal for WSS to sell it..It is not illegal to own.. It IS illegal to use while hunting. Hunters need to know the rules from the regs before they head out.. WSS also sells rifles, but you can't use them during bow season in all zones.. Should people take them back too?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
what if i was trying to call in a pack of wolves with a cow call and here come mister 50" that i have a tag for. I have never used one of these or do i want to but really if you open is up for one thing it should be open for all.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
what if i was trying to call in a pack of wolves with a cow call and here come mister 50" that i have a tag for. I have never used one of these or do i want to but really if you open is up for one thing it should be open for all.
Same thing if you are using an electronic call for snows and a bunch of candas come in - let them go.
Electronic predator calls were on the market for a long time before they were legal to use as well.
Cat
Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
Read the regs....you'd be breaking the law. You cannot use the sounds of a moose or deer or elk or a whole lot of other things when using an electronic caller for wolves or other predators.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Same thing if you are using an electronic call for snows and a bunch of candas come in - let them go.

As long as you are following the rules for using an electronic snow goose call.....snow geese decoys only.... you are able to harvest any migratory game bird in season. Ducks, Canada's , specks, have at em'....