Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Default Hunting Rules

If I have my WIN card, but do not have my FAC can I actively participate in a hunt with a person who has their FAC and WIN card?
Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM

It has nothing to do with it

You need a licence for the game you hunt. Look up the definition of hunt in the Wildlife Act.

You need a PAL to have a firearm unless you are under the direct supervision of someone who has a valid PAL.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley.Anctil View Post
If I have my WIN card, but do not have my FAC can I actively participate in a hunt with a person who has their FAC and WIN card?
Yes, as long as you are under direct supervision of the PAL holder you are good to go.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Yes, as long as you are under direct supervision of the PAL holder you are good to go.
No Mulecrazy, that is not right. A WIN card means nothing, it is only there to register you so you can buy licenses (including fishing).

OP, you need to have taken and passed the Alberta Hunter Education course, then you can buy a hunting license and go hunting with your buddy using his firearms. If you do not have a hunting license you can accompany him, but not participate in the hunt (i.e. No "pushing bush" or driving animals towards your friend, no shooting, no calling, no rattling, etc.). You can be a passive observer, that is all.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
No Mulecrazy, that is not right. A WIN card means nothing, it is only there to register you so you can buy licenses (including fishing).

OP, you need to have taken and passed the Alberta Hunter Education course, then you can buy a hunting license and go hunting with your buddy using his firearms. If you do not have a hunting license you can accompany him, but not participate in the hunt (i.e. No "pushing bush" or driving animals towards your friend, no shooting, no calling, no rattling, etc.). You can be a passive observer, that is all.
uhhh, yeah its right. The OP said if they had their win card which I took as they were wondering if that is all it took to get their hunting license. then yeah, they can be active in hunting.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
uhhh, yeah its right. The OP said if they had their win card which I took as they were wondering if that is all it took to get their hunting license. then yeah, they can be active in hunting.
You can have a WIN card....and still not be able to buy a hunting license.

As Pudelpointer stated you have to both have a WIN and ONLY IF you have passed the Alberta Hunter Training course.....THEN....you can buy a license.

LC
Old 08-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Lots of people have WIN cards to purchase fishing licenses, but haven't taken the necessary steps to purchase a hunting license or for that matter a gun
Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 PM

What is required to be eligible to hunt in Alberta?
Hunters in Alberta should be aware of federal regulations pertaining to possession and use of firearms (click here to view Federal Firearms Legislation), and provincial regulations pertaining to licensing of hunters. There are regulations that pertain to first-time hunters, youths, residents, non-residents and non-resident aliens.

All hunters must have a Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) as a prerequisite to applying for, or purchasing any hunting licence, but some additional requirements must be met for the WIN-holder to be eligible to purchase hunting licences.

A person must possess a valid Wildlife Certificate and the applicable hunting licence in order to hunt big game or game birds. The hunter must carry the licence and applicable tag(s) on his or her person while hunting. A person applying for a draw is not required to possess a Wildlife Certificate but must purchase one before purchasing any hunting licence.

Licensing requirements for first-time hunters
A first-time hunter is a hunter who 1) has not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere, or 2) has not prior to April 1, 2010, met Alberta first-time hunter criteria, or 3) has not successfully completed a hunter education course in Alberta or elsewhere.

Notice: As of 2010, the Alberta Hunter Competency Exam is no longer offered. Subject to any exceptions noted in this guide, first-time hunters (adult and youth) must successfully complete the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course.

Non-resident and non-resident alien hunters (12 years of age or older) are exempt from the first-time hunter eligibility requirement if they are accompanied by a Hunter Host or a Designated Guide while hunting in Alberta.

Youth first-time hunters must be at least 12 years old to hunt under the authority of any hunting licence in Alberta. All hunters under the age of 16 years must have written permission from a parent or guardian to purchase hunting licences. Hunters who are 11 years old may apply in the draws for licences if they meet the above criteria, but they must be 12 years old anytime before or during the open season for that draw. They may not hunt until they are 12 years old. Note: As of 2007, hunters who are 12 or 13 years of age are no longer restricted to hunting big game with only a bow and arrow. To hunt with a firearm, hunters under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, a legal guardian or by a person 18 years of age or older who has the written permission of the parent or legal guardian.

If you are interested in taking the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course, call the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors’ Association toll-free in Alberta at 1-866-852-4342, Edmonton
780-466-6682, or Calgary 403-252-8474.