Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Default A question about sighting ina rifle

I recently purchased a Browning 270WSM; The rifle was bore sighted for me.
When I took it out to tune it in for myself, it was shooting about 4" high and 4" to the right.

I tried 3 different loads and had the same basic results. The groupings were tight (for me at 200 yards about 4" spread).

After much fiddling around I finally got it shooting dead center at 200 yards.

SO here is my question:

Was this possibly a matter of inaccuracy on the part of the gun shop or is it more a matter of my own shooting style?

I do not use a bi-pod but instead look for a steady rest for shoots much past 100 yards. In this case I was able to use the hood of my truck to rest the rifle on. If it comes into play I shoot left handed.

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 AM

The goal behind bore sighting is to get you more or less on the paper in the first place so you can then do the fine tuning while wasting much less ammunition and have a less frustrating time at the range.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rautenstrauchc View Post
The goal behind bore sighting is to get you more or less on the paper in the first place so you can then do the fine tuning while wasting much less ammunition and have a less frustrating time at the range.
x2
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM

at 200 yards you were only 4 inches off... That sounds like one of the best bore sight jobs ever...
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 AM

If you were within 4" at 200 yards, it was a good job of bore sighting. Even if three loads shoot close to the same point of impact, a fourth load could change the point of impact by inches, in any direction. Even a slight difference in hold, or trigger press can change the point of impact. Pick a load, sight the gun in for that load, get some practice, and you will be ready for hunting season.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 AM

8 clicks of adjustment on both turrets doesn't sound like much fiddling. That was a great bore site. Next time save your money pull the bolt at the range and adjust the scope to what you see down the bore. Good shootin by the way.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 PM

I agree with all the above posts, but have learned over the years that using a vehicle for a shooting rest is a waste of ammo as they are not as good as a solid steady or a shooting bench.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the feed back. I will have a few good ideas for next time!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 AM

When ever I sight in a scope for a different load or scope change - aim for the Bull and fire, note where the POI is, Put the riffle in a vise or very steady rest with the crosshairs on the same point of aim on the bull. Then adjust the scope, without moving the riffle, so the crosshair of the scope covers the first bullet hole at 200yrds. Fire 2 more and adjust if needed. Usually need 2-3 rds only/load for a sight in. I write all adjustments down as well for future reference.