Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-31-2011, 11:20 PM

Default mounting a scope?

I just bought a used rifle, Savage 111. It orginally was a package rifle with rifle, mount, rings and scope. The guy I bought it from said he upgraded the rings and mount, but left the original scope. I bought it with the rings and mount attached to the rifle, but the scope came seperate. Since I am new to the whole optics part of firearms, I am wondering if I should try to mount the scope myself and try to level it and whatnot, or should I pay a professional (if there is such a thing for mounting scopes) and make sure it is done right? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Scope mounting isn't all that hard, just put your rifle in a shooting vise remove the bolt and have a point at 15-25 yards, then aline the center of the bore with that point. Once that is done go to the scope, with the rings on the scope mounted put it on the rifle but leave the scope loose in the rings so you can adjust eye relief, level it with the rifle then tighten it down when eye relief and level is set then from that point just shoulder the rifle in the vise trying not to move it from the original position then adjust the windage and elevation(via the adjustment knobs) so the cross hairs align with the point then its been bore sighted. Now all that's left to do is take it to the range and fine tune it. Hopefully this helps.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Scope mounting isn't all that hard, just put your rifle in a shooting vise remove the bolt and have a point at 15-25 yards, then aline the center of the bore with that point. Once that is done go to the scope, with the rings on the scope mounted put it on the rifle but leave the scope loose in the rings so you can adjust eye relief, level it with the rifle then tighten it down when eye relief and level is set then from that point just shoulder the rifle in the vise trying not to move it from the original position then adjust the windage and elevation(via the adjustment knobs) so the cross hairs align with the point then its been bore sighted. Now all that's left to do is take it to the range and fine tune it. Hopefully this helps.
Pretty good advice other than even owning a shooting vice. A vice is fine for cleaning or maintenance, but never shoot a high powered rifle from any type of vice that prevents the rifle from recoiling naturally. You do need to be careful when torquing down the mounting screws. Over torquing the ring screws can damage the scope, and under torquing them can allow the scope to slide in the rings under recoil. I use blue Loctite on the base screws, but never on the ring screws. It is also a good idea to check the alignment of the rings, and to lap them if they aren't properly aligned, as improperly aligned rings can put torque on the scope tube, which can cause problems. You can also choose rings with self aligning synthetic inserts to eliminate this possibility.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 AM

I see you are in Edmonton. P and D are so called experts in scopes and will do a proper job mounting the scope if you are unsure of doing the job yourself. Like elk said the rings should be aligned and lapped and tourqued to spec. I like burris signature rings because all you do is tourqe them down.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
I see you are in Edmonton. P and D are so called experts in scopes and will do a proper job mounting the scope if you are unsure of doing the job yourself...
x2 on P and D. For a small fee they will lap the rings, bore sight and properly mount your scope. Nice shop, I usually stop there every time I am in Edmonton.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 AM

I use P&D as well to lapp and mount. Small price to pay for piece of mind
Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 PM

I can't count the amount of times I've seen home mounted scopes that are screwy somehow.I've botched it myself more than once.Fixed any issues so far, but there still a few do's and don't's that apply.Live and learn.I was at the gun range the other day, and this very nice seeming older fellow had a beautiful nearly antique target .22 with a modern scope.Nice combo, but I had to notice that the ring halves were torqued down so they touched on one side, and had huge gap on the other where they went together.Not only looks silly, but could dent/bend the tube.Someone bent a scope I lent out in this way. Pi$$ me off.

I know several people that I just assumed know what they are doing when it comes to their own minor repair/mounting jobs on guns that have a screwy scope, not set up comfortably eye relief wise, or tilted (my own worst thing especially with weaver rings), or 90 deg off. The worst part is damaging scopes/mounts, or having stuff loosen off at a less than convienient moment, losing a shot at game or worse wounding it.Plus frustration.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned

The last scope switch that I did I took the rifle and scope to WSS north and they didn't charge me anything............I bought a few things when I was there though but I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 AM

Smile

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;1030247] A vice is fine for cleaning or maintenance, but never shoot a high powered rifle from any type of vice that prevents the rifle from recoiling naturally.

I've never been able to say that better...or even nearly as good and all in one sentence.

However it could start some discussion.

...anyway back to the scope. If you're near the west end, Rod would fix you up. Henrickson Gunsmithing 780.455.3006. He's off 118 ave and 152 st methinks, but call him and he will give you the address. He won't beat you up just to mount a scope. He's actually one of the few "gunsmiths" around that has actually been to an accredited "Gunsmithing" school (Colorado School of Trades). K.... there's my plug for Rod (aka: Festus)

As Elk said, "Lap, IF required". You don't have to lap every set of rings, even though some folks seem to think so.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 08-03-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The last scope switch that I did I took the rifle and scope to WSS north and they didn't charge me anything............I bought a few things when I was there though but I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
I just had to redo a scpoe mount job on a buddies gun that was done at wss. They do NOT know what they are doing.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=ACKLEY ABE;1032534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A vice is fine for cleaning or maintenance, but never shoot a high powered rifle from any type of vice that prevents the rifle from recoiling naturally.

I've never been able to say that better...or even nearly as good and all in one sentence.

However it could start some discussion.

...anyway back to the scope. If you're near the west end, Rod would fix you up. Henrickson Gunsmithing 780.455.3006. He's off 118 ave and 152 st methinks, but call him and he will give you the address. He won't beat you up just to mount a scope. He's actually one of the few "gunsmiths" around that has actually been to an accredited "Gunsmithing" school (Colorado School of Trades). K.... there's my plug for Rod (aka: Festus)

As Elk said, "Lap, IF required". You don't have to lap every set of rings, even though some folks seem to think so.
Yup...Rods my man...he does good work...for a fair price and...he's always finished mine earlier than originally estimated.