Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2022, 07:46 PM

Default World oil prices spiking hard right now

https://oilprice.com/

I’ll capture a screen grab.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-06-2022, 07:51 PM

Expect to see $200 if the US and others stop Russian oil imports....
Old 03-06-2022, 08:10 PM
Banned

Just had a chat with my friend in Russia. They pay 0.60$CAD for premium gas. WTF?
Old 03-06-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
Just had a chat with my friend in Russia. They pay 0.60$CAD for premium gas. WTF?
Cheap labour. Zero carbon tax. No environmental rules. State subsidies.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-06-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Expect to see $200 if the US and others stop Russian oil imports....
Question is will oil stocks pop tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Question is will oil stocks pop tomorrow.
Probably a bit...but not as much as one would expect...because Dow futures are down 450 right now.
Bumpy roads ahead....
Old 03-06-2022, 08:24 PM

Tough not to think this one won't get political but there is a little rope.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-06-2022, 09:05 PM

Lightbulb

Thats good for Alberta ! remember in March 2020 , a McDonald’s bigmac meal was more then a barrel of wcs…
Old 03-06-2022, 09:56 PM

Booking completions services right now and we are looking at 3-6 weeks to get service rigs, snubbers, rod rigs. Just in the last week it went downhill fast on that end. Rates should be going through the roof soon along with wages. Just a matter of time

Lots to do with the rush before break up, but cant deny those prices. Hearing lots of wells that have been shut in for 5 years are getting repaired and fired back up.

Not many reasons to be unemployed in Alberta right now

Last edited by Sleddawg; 03-06-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:19 AM

Went as high at $134/barrel… now settled in at $120.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:05 AM

Main influencers on price right now is the war, potential embargo on Russian oil, Iranian oil production deal and Venezuelan oil production deal.

Alberta yesterday said our production could increase also as there is room in pipes and trains. But if that was the case then why isn’t it being produced now which is odd.

Most Alberta oil companies seem to be making the bounce.

What’s amazing is Western Canada Select is currently at $101. I remember it’s low of $8 in 2020.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:01 AM

As happy as I am to see this rebound in Alberta's fortunes, I can't help feeling very bad as well. Millions are being displaced, thousands killed. I would very happily take a slower run up in the oil prices and share prices to avoid what is happening now. I won't be popping any Champagne corks any time soon.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:47 AM

It sure would have been a lot of help if KXL line was still under construction and Guberment in Ottawa was not choking the Trans Mountain line build. We could have easily replaced a significant amount of Russian oil.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Cheap labour. Zero carbon tax. No environmental rules. State subsidies.
With this knowledge I should feel happy paying $2/litre - is it what you want to say?
Old 03-07-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
With this knowledge I should feel happy paying $2/litre - is it what you want to say?
Point is you can’t match apples to armadillos.

Your statement inferred you didn’t know why gas was cheaper in Russia.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
As happy as I am to see this rebound in Alberta's fortunes, I can't help feeling very bad as well. Millions are being displaced, thousands killed. I would very happily take a slower run up in the oil prices and share prices to avoid what is happening now. I won't be popping any Champagne corks any time soon.
Agreed. Nothing to celebrate. Slow rise of prices with sustainable increasing demand is more likely to last than a surge and slump.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
It sure would have been a lot of help if KXL line was still under construction and Guberment in Ottawa was not choking the Trans Mountain line build. We could have easily replaced a significant amount of Russian oil.
Savage said we have lots of production to help offset production loses in the world. However if so why are we producing it now? I wonder about that.

KXL should be restarted as should Energy East.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:52 AM

Key point is extraction costs in different depending on where you are in the world and Russia and the Middle east are fractions of the cost of what it takes for us to extract a BBL.

With low oil prices, and net losses for many companies here (when oil is under about $30BBL) these guys were producing at a loss for two reasons; contract obligation (global nomination quantities) AND revenue in to pay for Capex (Capital investment on infrastructure) to cover the interest costs of that cash.

With oil back up into the higher prices, we should expect to see another push for pipelines and more efficient means of delivery. That could only improve our long term proposition.

As far as gas is concerned, this is where investment into off shore gas supply off the coast of Europe is required immediately.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts even "as sworn enemies" Europe will continue to buy from Russia and Russia will be happy to sell to the the EU ...... the irony is thick here. Gas is a different story and much more problematic for the EU.

Both Canada and the US are net producers and exporters (producing more than we consume) so the potential impact and pitfalls are certainly far less here.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:07 AM

EZM- are you sure that US is a net producer? I have been wondering why US is buying 600 million barrels a day from Russia. US is now begging around the world for more oil so they can cut Russia out. Russia will find somewhere else to sell oil, so banning Russia oil imports in US is just symbolism.
How long would it take for Canada or ramp up and replace Russian oil? It seems the only way to reduce the price of oil is to increase supply.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Gold View Post
EZM- are you sure that US is a net producer? I have been wondering why US is buying 600 million barrels a day from Russia. US is now begging around the world for more oil so they can cut Russia out. Russia will find somewhere else to sell oil, so banning Russia oil imports in US is just symbolism.
How long would it take for Canada or ramp up and replace Russian oil? It seems the only way to reduce the price of oil is to increase supply.
under trump it was

he made a big deal about it at the time

and for the record. IT WAS A BIG DEAL

even though my oil stocks tanked it was because of tru-dough nut-lee and bc eco-terrorists I believe

USA will get there again soon in 2024
Old 03-08-2022, 01:20 PM
Banned

Arrow

U.S. bans all Russian oil and gas imports

"How high can oil prices go? Pick a number. This is a market in disarray" energy strategist Michael Tran with RBC mused in a note to clients Tuesday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/us-...-ban-1.6376816
Old 03-08-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Thats good for Alberta ! remember in March 2020 , a McDonald’s bigmac meal was more then a barrel of wcs…
To be fair the bigmac meal produces far more gas then a barrel of wcs...
Old 03-08-2022, 02:06 PM

Oil spike is the pin that is going to pop this everything economic bubble. After all the gov't money printing inflation was already running rampant. Now we have an oil spike that is going to further goose the cost of everything. Central banks can't do anything about it. Even if they don't raise rates inflation will have the same effect of raising costs and tempering spending. Consumer sentiment is going down, spending going down, company revenue forecasts will follow. Market will continue to take hits on the negative revisions and end of fabulous growth projections. Jobs market will weaken and eventually RE will get hammered back into some semblance of reality. We have a long long way to go to unwind all the steps that have blown up this everything bubble. Lots of pain ahead.

Enjoy for now but be smart and take oil profits before demand starts to crater with the economy.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Enjoy for now but be smart and take oil profits before demand starts to crater with the economy.
I’d agree tread carefully. Not sure where China will end up on all this. China has been fairly quiet.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:32 PM

I set trailing sell limits just now. Trying to avoid the crash if there is one.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I set trailing sell limits just now. Trying to avoid the crash if there is one.
Yep, no such thing as bad profit!
Old 03-08-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I’d agree tread carefully. Not sure where China will end up on all this. China has been fairly quiet.
I don't even want to think about it. China can do what it wants given that the rest of the world relies on so many of its exports. They are the one country that is in a more leveraged position than Russia. Any resistance/sanctions to a Chinese aggression would cost us dearly. Maybe to the point of leading to civil unrest in the west. Severe shortages tend to do that. Still waiting to see what Russia does with Nord stream 1. If that goes down or worse (gets bombed) that is going to kill the EU economy and people and by extension all markets worldwide will suffer.

Just a bad recipe given the sensitive point we are at in the economic cycle.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:13 PM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAIMoRuzps4

That's all my reaction to this fiasco
Old 03-08-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Gold View Post
I have been wondering why US is buying 600 million barrels a day from Russia.
Not True.

"In 2021, the U.S. imported an average of 209,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil and 500,000 bpd of other petroleum products from Russia."

https://www.afpm.org/newsroom/blog/o...ssia-explained

The bulk of the "other" 500,000 bpd is gasoline...

With regard to your question about "ramping up"...we are pipeline constrained...
Last time anyone checked...Biden didn't want Keystone XL...
Old 03-08-2022, 10:12 PM

Nancy pelosi is trying to delayed the Russian oil ban , probably give some of her friend and family time to unwind and reload their stock positions …..