Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of stillwater trout fishery would you prefer at your favourite lake?
C&R with the chance of catching trout up to 25" 112 42.75%
Limit of 1 under 18" with a good chance of fish over 22" 47 17.94%
Limit of 1 over 18" with a good chance of fish over 20" 38 14.50%
Limit of 3 any size with a good chance of fish over 16" 49 18.70%
Limit of 5 any size with a good chance of fish over 12" 16 6.11%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
Go to Strubel and fish as long as you want, with whatever you want and you're not going to catch one over 20". Apparently it used to have fish to 10lbs so the issue isn't carrying capacity. When the opportunity for a range of sizes isn't there, neither is some of the excitement. Disagree?

And don't hold your breath that a lake 2 hours away won't change. I drive 5hrs to get to a lake with some lunkers but even it has deteriorated over the past couple of years because of the 5 fish limit and more fishing pressure. I could drive 14hrs to Manitoba where they actually know how to manage a fishery but at some point, I do need to draw the line.
I generally don't fish lakes like Strubel. There's one like that here in Morinville 3 kms and a few others within 10 kms away that I might go to occasionally after supper but if I'm going for the day, I have other options. I still enjoy it when I go but aren't my first choice.

Your efforts to go fishing is out of the norm IMO. My experience is that allot of fellas won't make that kind of effort. Most anglers that I have met want convenience and as little effort as possible, thus the whole purpose of this thread.