Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The obvious question, is why wouldn't it do the job 100% of the time?
Well it would have as much to do with the gun set up as the cartridge. Like I said there needs to be a little bit of common sense used. I have 22-250 with a 1:8 twist that I don't take in the bush because the bullet blows up if hits a thick shadow. But that gun sure is nice in the open field. I have 45-70 that's great in the bush but not so great out in the open with a longer shot. My 30-06 only has a 1.5-4.5 scope on it so not great for a longer shot. I have 300 RUM that is set up for shooting out well past 500 yards. The 300 RUM does pack a lot more punch out past 500 yards than my 30-06 but in truth I have only shot 5 deer out past 500 and have shot over a 100 deer inside 300 yards. I have do doubt that if I wanted to set up a 30-06 to shoot deer out well past 500yard I would have any trouble doing so. I believe it was stated in the original post that its a system not just the gun. I think people tend to set up there shooting system to favor one kind of shooting or another that best suits there gun. That does not mean that some else could not set up the same gun a total different way more suitable for another type of hunting.