Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Default A lesson learned- Hunting story

My husband and I went elk hunting this weekend. We only have the one rifle and it was my tag so I had to carry the gun. It was also my cow elk tag. Saturday morning we went up to our elk spot and came across a very fresh trail. I walked in on it and no more than 200 yards in was an elk about 150 feet from me and a ton of beds. I didn't have a call or my binoculars, but I lifted the gun to take a closer look. I wanted to be able to shoot if it was what I wanted, but it was a bull so I carried on. he scurried off and I never did see his cows. in total I walked about a mile and a half through the bush carrying this gun... No sling.

That night My husband and I went to the gun shop and picked up a cow call a sling for the gun, and looked a a bunch of guns for me. We now know exactly what I will be getting and soon... Still have moose season coming up.

The next day we went back to the elk spot and found another really fresh trail. Tracks over our tire tracks from when we went in. Again I hiked into the bush. Then I heard it... You know the rustling of something walking. I found the nearest cover I could find. One single tree. Darn, I was stuck in the wide open. I squeaked a couple times and got a reply. 30 seconds later a calf elk comes bouncing up the trail right in front of me. A little squeak with each jump. She stopped no more than my pickup truck length in front of me. As I was contemplating whether or not the calf was a legal kill, two cows walk up to my right and I see them through the corner of my eye. I decided to leave the calf even though I had a whole two minutes to look at her and turned towards the cows. I tried to raise the gun, but my aching muscles from the day before wouldn't let me level it enough to see through the scope that was not necessary. They were only two pickup lengths away from me. There was no log to rest the barrel of the gun on for stability. After about 30 seconds of fighting with the rifle I lowered it and let the cows walk on. I did continue to squeak the call though, and was answered by the bull. After trekking back out of the woods empty handed, my legs and arms no longer able to sustain me. I made up my mind... Hence a huge lesson learned and the moral of this story...

Athough I am comfortable with the gun at the range with a bench to support it, the rifle is way too big for me and I cannot get a safe shot with it without additional support. I will never carry it hunting again because I cannot guarantee a downed log or even a clear shot from prone position. I will purchase the rifle that felt "right" to me and use it for my hunting.

I still have a week left on my elk tag. Hopefully something will come of it... If not moose season is coming up.

A gun that is either too long, too heavy, or two high of calibre is an unsafe gun... If you aren't sure of the shot, don't take it. I know that if I go back there I can probably get close again since I gave them no reason to fear me.