Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
I began my archery life with a recurve, then went to a compound, then tried a crossbow for a while. In BC, I think the regulations were a bit more inclusive of crossbows at the time.

My conclusions?... A crossbow has some advantages at closer distances (under 30 yards?) They are fast and accurate at those distances. Past 30-or-so yards, I would take the compound hands-down and would challenge any freehand-crossbow shooter any day at 30+ distances. At close range, the crossbow is accurate but at longer ranges, they are finicky and unforgiving if you're at all off in your distance calculation [due to the short arrows]. As well, I found the crossbow cumbersome and awkward in the bush. In the end, I sold the stupid thing and bought a wedding ring.

I think crossbows can give a false impression that they are "super-killers" when they are not.
thats what i found as well. the new string cocking aids seem to help with the issue of drawing it properly which sure does make em shoot wierd. also, they do seem to drop much faster at longer ranges. im sticking to the vertical bow.