Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2024, 04:40 PM

Default That was the most excitement I’ve had in awhile

Now that the weather is warm and I haven’t gone calling coyotes in a month I figured I better go.

I went to one of my favourite spots that never misses. I set up and hit the coyote locator, instantly what sounded like 50 screaming coyotes replied. Ok good now I know where they are. I then switched to adult cotton tail and it wasn’t long I spotted 4 on a little lake about 1/2 mile to the north. Coming at a full run, when they got to about 300 yards they disappeared behind a slight hill.
Not long after I’m not sure if they got my wind or what but 3 of them were headed at a full run back to the North East. I switched to coyote pup distress and the last one came up over the hill. Pop, 1 dog down. After waiting another 10 minutes and nothing showing up I figured it’s time to move.

As I pull in to my second stand of the day I see a coyote out on the field. I thought crap I’m probably busted before I’ve even started. I walked the 1/2 mile up the old road allowance. Bush and crown land on the West and pasture on the East. I get up to the spot where I want to call from and there is zero snow under the big spruce tree where I want to call from. I guess I didn’t need snow camo on.

The snow was really crunchy and I had probably spooked everything within a half mile but thought I would give it a whirl. I tried coyote locator. No response. I tried mouse distress. No response. I tried mag pie. No response. I then tried adult cotton tail with no response. I waited about 10 minutes and nothing showed up..

I looked at the timer on the fox pro and I had been sitting for 21 minutes. Usually I move after 20 minutes but thought I would give it one more shot.

I turned on the little decoy and hit adult cotton tail. Instantly I detected movement over my right shoulder about 20’ away. I swung my bipod over to be more in line with the call.

In a split second a rather large cougar was headed for my call. I lined up on it thinking man I wish the quotas weren’t already filled and it wasn’t it illegal to use an E caller for cats. Then the second cat appeared.

They were sniffing my decoy when the larger of the 2 cats grabbed my fox pro and took off back the same way it came with the caller squeaking in its mouth.

I yelled hey. The cat didn’t stop. I yelled hey again and now it stopped about 15-20 feet from me. It just stood there staring with the call squeaking away in its mouth. I yelled hey at least 4 more times before it dropped my call. I’m yelling at them as they both just stood there staring at me for about 15 seconds before they took off.

That may be one of the coolest things I’ve ever experienced in the bush, anyhow I need to go change my underwear.