Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
Not sure if I should post this here or not, but my father is as fast tracked for a hip replacement performed here in Alberta last fall and it has been nothing but a disaster. I fully understand complications can happen, but this is beginning to be a bit much. Here’s the coles notes version of what’s going on…
Hip replacement Sept 27/2022
— does extremely well for 3 wks post op, then the infection is discovered
Repeat surgery Nov 2022
— infection still present
Repeat surgery Dec 2022
— sent to care facility for recovery, 6 wks later fractures femur getting out bed at care centre
Fracture repair and hip implant replacement Jan 20233
— something not right with surgery , surgery repeated Feb 2023

— seemingly things move along well until June 2023; infection is back and implants for fracture repair are broken

Surgery to remove implant and replace hip prosthetic July 2023

—- recovery moving along slowly , doing well until femur breaks through screw hole , Sept 27/ 2023 (go figure)

Surgery to repair fracture and hip implants again Oct 2023

—- 2 wks later , infection again

Surgery to remove all implants, will be done bed ridden for 3-6 months Oct 2023

—- yes he is still in the hospital as of right now

Anyhow, complications happen and the Doctors have been excellent throughout all of this. The nursing care on the other hand … no words

My fathers good friend paid to get both of his hips replaced in Ontario around the same time my father had his first surgery. He’s walking around like a new man. Pay to get it done outside of Alberta if you can.

This is aweful and feel bad that your dad has gone through this, however this is on the far side of an extreme case and not the norm. Not a fair representation of some great surgeons here in Alberta.

I waited not quite a year and had my hip done Aug 2022 with zero complications. I was back to work without restriction after 3 months. It was life changing as I have zero pain. I for one do not have $25,000 or more to spend going elsewhere.

BH