Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2023, 09:53 PM

Default Some people…

So I went to pick up my camera today in 520 that I left there last November. Exciting! Well, not really, because there is always thought of something going wrong in the beginning and there are no pics or something. It was also a brand new camera that I never even tested Before slapping on to a tree (just set the date, time, and proper settings). I didn’t plan on leaving it there for so long either, but it worked out this way.

Anyway, not what the thread is about. The thread is about people. So as I drove off the road and into to the bush to park, there was a little camp right by the trail in the opening. Obviously driving right by would be rude (it is the only “entrance” to the area), maybe someone is hunting and whatnot. So I stopped and walked over, there were two “old timers” there, not really old, but definitely past retirement age. So hi and this and that, the usual talk. One then tells me there is no moose here. Ok, cool, I wasn’t asking and not hunting, but came to retrieve my camera that I left there last year. One asked where is the camera and I said deep in the woods and showed direction. I said I hoped it was still there, though it was in the bush, but you never know. A guy asked what I wanted to get on the camera, to which I said animals and don’t particularly care which, just wanted to see what’s around. He told me there is no moose here again. I told them I hunted this area the past couple of years for moose in November and told them I found plenty of cows, but never a bull; saw lots of sign everywhere, old and new at the time, droppings, etc. But definitely a tough hunt. He said that I must the only guy who saw moose crap here. They asked if I am a hunter (weird, but ok). Yes, sure, but not hunting this year here because I missed the undersubscribed tags and spending my time in 522/23. I asked what they were hunting (obviously moose) and a guy said they were just enjoying the fall because they liked the area and not hunting and that there is no moose there. Ok, whatever, I started leaving and said that if I am not back in hour, a moose must have eaten me, laughing. He told me lots of bears around in response. Ok sure (perhaps, but never saw any droppings or any other sign in two seasons). So I left (drove just another 75-100 meters away from the opening and behind the trees and parked off the trail , so that my vehicle won’t be on anyone’s way and just common sense kind of thing).

So I ran the woods (game trails) to the spot, the camera was there (yay!), but I saw it was a little turned, not how I left it. Damn, oh well. Ran back, in and out in an hour. This is, by the way, right at the end of the day, I got there about 40 minutes before sunset. While running, I looked at the brush around, other sign, saw a couple of moose tracks. One in particular was on a dry pile of soft dirt and it rained a couple of days ago - the track was clearly left after that.

So on the way out, I stopped again to tell them that the camera was there and I got it and that I saw a fairly fresh moose track and another and where, etc. Just being a fellow hunter. So yes, camera is out after 11 months, a little chit chat. I then said, before leaving, where I walked, I saw plenty of moose sign and saw a couple of tracks. A guy replied that it can’t be and something something city boys come and tell them and they live here and know better and know trappers (so do I) and some other rubbish. So I told him I am not his average city boy (already told them I was from Peace River before, which is half an hour away), still laughing, but obviously didn’t care for the conversation anymore and going to leave. He asked why I wanted to make them think there was moose there. I said, frankly, I didn’t care what they thought and what they wanted to do with the information I gave them, just wanted to be helpful and… normal? The other guy said to me “why don’t you get in your vehicle and the four-letter word off”. Lol. Of course, I replied that he can go four-letter word himself too and a couple of other complements and left. He was yelling more stuff as I was leaving, to some of which I replied mutually.

So my question is what the hell is wrong with people? Especially older people who should know better, one would think. Sure, they had a couple of beers, but what the hell? Perhaps, I’ll be just rude next time and just drive by and, potentially, ruin someone’s hunt, because who wants to communicate after this?