Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2021, 11:27 AM

Default RE: Best 12 GA shotgun For Waterfowl Hunting

Since we had a thread started by North40Rules on the best shotgun shell choke combination for geese which by the way was a great thread now let's get down what the best 12 GA waterfowl shotgun would be and why.

I am no stranger to shotguns in the last 6 years I have shot an average of 9,000 rounds of 12 ga ammunition per year, all target loads in practice and registered trap shoots, I own a Krieghoff KX6 Special, A Beretta DT11 sporting and a Caesar Gurini summit combo none of which I would ever consider taking out to the blind for waterfowl.

I got back into waterfowl hunting this fall but instead of running out and buying a gun I borrowed a couple and did some test driving, I used a Benelli super sport with 3" chamber and a browning A5 with a 3" chamber, both of which worked just fine and I hammer a pile of ducks and geese with them, the one thing that I did find out was that 30" and 32" barrels have no place in a blind IMHO.

So given that I am in the market for a waterfowl gun I'd like to hear what others have to say, as stated in the other thread we shoot over decoys almost exclusively and I found that 2 3/4 " and 3" shell have more than enough whollop to knock down the biggest goose that flies if I do my job and center their vitals up, so I can't see me buying something with a 3 1/2" chamber

Let me know your thoughts and opinions
Thanks
Ed

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.