Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2020, 10:21 PM

Default Reloading questions

Hi everyone!

I’ve been wanting to reload and was going to put it off until next year. After reading Dick284’s thread on looking shortages I opted to buy my stuff now. And wow the shortages are already here in just about every category. I’ve got most of my stuff, but a couple of things to get still and I have questions about that as well as some general questions that I haven’t figured out yet.

I’m probably going to be reloading around 400 rounds per year for my hunting group. Good thing we all use the same cartridge lol.

I’ve helped my dad reload back in the day and there is a wealth of great videos that have given me an excellent start.

Calipers
Okay so I need a caliper to make sure everything is going right after trimming and seating. I want to go digital, but is that the best or just lazy? Cabelas in Calgary has the analog hornady calipers, but I’m not rushing to get them. I have a feeling that I can get a great analog caliper for $75-125 and a great digital caliper would be double. Also, if you have a caliper recommendation that would be appreciated. If I can buy locally or online with a Canadian company even better.

Tumbling
Haven’t gotten one yet, but the Lyman 1200 tumbler seems perfect for me. According to their site, you should tumble before case prep and caster case prep because case lube can cause excessive pressure on the bolt face. True to just them promoting BS and wiping the cases off with a cloth will do?
Also I was thinking of the tumbling, and wouldn’t there be bits of walnut leftover as powder in the cases? So should I be blowing the cases out with clean, dry, compressed air? I’m wondering if the dust would impact firing performance.
Wet tumbling. Nothing I love more than super shines things! But adding a polishing compound made me wonder how would said compound impact performance with the compound inside the shell casing interacting with the powder. So if I wanted that super shiny look is there a step to remove the compound from the inside of shell?

Die maintenance
What’s the best way to take care of my dies? Just hit them with brake clean and then coat them in all purpose oil? Sure, some people never clean there dies, but I’d rather know I took care of my things as best I could.

All help is greatly appreciated everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk