Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My first Ruger was one of those boat paddle abominations in 7 Rem. On a good day it was an inch a half gun with reloads. Trigger was pure garbage too. Worst factory trigger I have ever had. It kicked a lot worse than a later M77 I had that was a 338 Win Mag in an HS Precision stock. That one shot better, but it was sent to Corlanes to be accurized for $350 (bedding, trigger job,
cutting the bolt face, lapping lugs, cutting internal threads and squaring of the receiver, and then resetting headspace). Gun shot really nicely after that trip to the spa. LOL. The Hawkeyes I had were nothing to be written home about. I bought one new because it had lovely wood for a Hawkeye, and I like wood. Rifle arrived, took it out of the box, and danged if it the barrel wasn't bowed. I kid you not. Sent pics to Prophet River, and in typical Clay Smiley fashion, a new barreled action was sent out that day which allowed me to keep the lovely stock. Swapped out the trigger spring for one from a Bic pen, and I was in business. Gun shot quite nice. Because I was in the throes of a rifle addiction at the time, it was sold or traded for the next thing that caught my eye. Finally, I had a 10/22 that jammed like no one's business regardless of the brand of ammo you pumped down its throat.

So, my point is, and many would agree, Ruger's often take a fair deal of fiddling to get right. I'm no gun rookie, and have no bias against them at all, but no other brand had caused the me the extra effort that Ruger has, and I am a loonie for buying new to the market rifle brands out of curiosity
That is similar to my experience with them - owned a few, and sold as many, it seemed my dad's trusty beat up old M77 in 300win mag was the one and only one that was able to shoot accurately and didn't cause grief in one form or the next.

Same reason why I will never own a Browning - had even worse luck with those - in particular, the early semi auto BAR's were absolute garbage and I couldn't get through a magazine without a problem. Also was a task to get it to group within 4" at 100 - what a piece of garbage - sold it for almost FREE

At the end of the day people gravitate to what fits them well, doesn't give them problems and puts meat in the freezer.