Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2018, 01:13 PM

Default building in 2019?

We currently own 40 acres within 50km of red deer, and are looking at building this coming summer. I've been on the fence about contracting myself, or getting a builder.

The market seems favorable to build, and we are planning on keeping our existing house in red deer, and renting it out until the market becomes favorable to sell. We have done pretty well saving money, and talking with FCC, it seems that they are more then happy with lending us money if we want to general the house ourselves, or hire a builder.

I'm pretty comfortable with biting the bullet and being the genco. I know that i have to fork over 10k for new home warranty and pulling all my own permits and dealing with more risk. My shift also allows me extended time off that would be beneficial, but I'm wondering in this market if I really would be saving money?

We started talking with custom home builders about 3 years ago when we purchased the land, and we definitely got alot of estimates of over $250 a sqft for a bungalow with "builder grade" finishing, we have 3 little boys, so we arent' looking for extravagant finishes. Fast forward to now, talking with a few builders and the prices have definitely dropped off, and with this winter not looking promising I think next spring the prices may taper off even more.

I'm concerned with me being my genco, that I won't necessarily see the discounts of the trades, that a proven builder might be able to get them for, so in reality, i will be taking on more work load, financial risk and overall more liability for a pretty small savings.

So what do the experts of forums have to say?