Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2018, 10:02 AM

Default Still hunting rifle

I'm looking into building a still hunting rifle as a winter project. Here are my parameters
308 or 30-06 caliber. ( mainly because I reload for these already and my budget will be kinda tight so I'm not likely going to have much extra $$ to set up feeding this gun)
Light weight, streamlined, with short ish barrel, blind mag, low power scope in low rings.
Likely I'll be looking at a used rifle and modifying it to suit my needs.

Rifles I currently have

Parker hale 308 w 6-18x44 was my first rifle and don't want to mess with it at all

Semi custom 308 built on a mauser action. 20" barrel mounted w 6-18x44 w 20 moa rail. This rifle was originally going to be my tight brush gun but it shot so well I use it more for LR than anything else. It's really heavy in its current set up

Semi custom 300 wm built on a mauser action. 25" barrel and 6-16x44 scope+20 moa rail. Rifle is about 8lbs but is long for this application and 300wm is overkill for a bush gun

Customized Lee Enfield 303 Brit, barrel cut to 19" peep sights regulated to 100&200yds. I mounted a short rail on the barrel just in front of the action for a reddot ( Bushnell t25) and I designed and made a removable scope mount similar to the old original mounts that holds a 3x9 Bushnell as well. Down sides to this rifle is weight/ ergonomics. For such a short gun it's quite heavy and the large 10 r mag makes carrying awkward.

1985 45-70 stock except for front blade sight and Skinner peeps

336 stock except for Williams foresight front sight and Skinner peeps

My though are an older ruger( I've always wanted one) Refinishing the stock to remove weight and trimming the barrel back then mounting something like a 1-5 or 2-7 low.

Or an older rem 700 and doing the same or looking for a mod 7.

Other rifles that have caught my eye are Winchester ranger or husky/ Parker hale...

On my current bolt actions I have needed stock bags to allow proper cheek weld which add Wight and affect balance for my prefered stile of hunting. I love carrying my levers but often find myself wishing for some magnification. ( I do not like scopes on my levers....been there tried that...)

If I was going to go new the ruger American compact seems to fit the bill. But I kinda like the idea of wood..

Not opposed to a single shot either...

My biggest goal is for streamlined carriability, light and short ish.....a perfect walking/ stalking still hunting rifle that points fast and is a joy to carry

My budget will be quite low ( less than 1000 all in) and I'd love to do this for half than that...possible if I get something used....

I have tones of experience with building/ accurizing/ modifying rifles so I'm not scared off by a bit of a project rifle.

By stepping outside of the calibers I currently load for will just add cost and unfortunately
budget is pretty tight...

Last edited by obsessed1; 12-01-2018 at 10:08 AM.