Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Default After Dark on low vis lakes

Some of my best fishing has been from sunset to midnight, yet I’ve been fishing Eagle lake quite a bit this year and the visibility is awful. Not even an inch with a camera.
Low enough that I tend to use noise and gear with lots of flash to attract. I’m not even sure how they feed swimming in pea soup.
Anyways I’ve noticed the ‘magic hour’ before dark, comes earlier and stops well before sunset. After that I’ve only got a couple pike with glowing lures.
I’m wondering if it’s a common thing on murky lakes? I know everyone packs up long before people would on other lakes.
I had almost 2 hours where the eyes we’re one after the other. No more than 2 lbs but over 2 dozen for sure. Then the expected stop “dinner times over”, yet for 2 hours after nothing on the flasher.
This is a pattern on Eagle. Rather than the 20-45 mins cycle, they seem to close shop for the night. My guess is it’s too dark even for eyes. That and probably the available prey.