Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Never said anything like that. Just I would rather practice out further as I feel it make closer shots seem easier.

Your whole golf analogy is pretty off not even comparable really unless I had a recurve for my short game and a 40lb compound for my middle and a 80 for long game maybe.

But lets flip that around what good is it to putt 10 yards really well if you can only drive it 20 yards? Yet if you can swing really hard and drive a ball 300 yards straight and consistent you should be able to "take some off" and have even better control.

I'm not saying your way off base here and yes getting basics down is very important, but I am just in disagreement with you saying long range practice doesn't make you a better archer.
Just saying practice what you play!..... otherwise it is useless.... Think of it this way if you are a pin shooter..... you use the 70 yard pin all the time which is the bottom one and is orange....

Then the moment of truth comes and animal is at 50 yards..... what does your subconscious do?

It puts your 70 yard pin on and lets fly.... and you post in here how you missed and I was right....

OR if you are practicing on a life size 3D target.... and now it is at 50 yards.... your brain goes no way that is much closer and easier than that so you use 40 pin and hit it high and not retrieve.....

Again practice what you play.... shoot the majority of your arrows there, shoot a few to determine your limitations, but if you don't like my analogy choose a better one!...

how about a pitcher.... in baseball by your analogy they should have bullpens further distances then the mound so pitcher has to throw higher and harder at what "appears" to be a smaller target.... so that when he is actually pitching he thinks... WOW the strike zone is like a barn.... and then throws over it!....

Go and shoot a dime sized target at 20 yards and let me know how many times you hit it vs. a tim hortons lid at 50....

Which is an easier shot?

Our hunting arrows do not have the FOC to be shooting at very long distances thus why I maid differences between clubs in golf.....

Look at 90m FITA.... what do their arrows look like they are designed for long distance shooting....