Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Default Bad Experience @ Sherwood Park Archery Lanes

I'd just like to share my discontent about my experience with Sherwood Park Archery Lanes on Saturday. I'm not going to name names because frankly I have no idea what the individuals' names are. I went in to buy some arrows and I wasn't looking to spend a crapload of money. I haven't shot in a league in about 12-13 years and I wanted to get back into the sport and so I bought a used Hoyt bow. The bow is roughly about 9 years old (made in 2000) so it's not extremely old but it's not brand new. Right when I walked into the store I was asked if I needed help by individual A, I said yes I was looking to buy arrows so I was directed to where I could select some arrows. I was helped by a certain individual that I will label as individual B. I explained to him my situation and that I haven't shot in a while and I was just getting back in the sport. I wanted arrows that were'nt going to break the bank and that weren't exactly junk. I told him that I would like a 26" arrow total length where I was interrupted and told in a negative tone to take out my bow and do it the proper way. Fair enough, I am always up for doing things the proper way. The gentleman was quite arrogant but I didn't think too much of it at this point. I put my old ratty bow case on the counter and opened it up. At that point he pulled my bow out and said "ohh" in a very obnoxious way. He, in a way, was mocking me. He then asked me how much I paid for the bow and I told him (160USD shipped to my door) He then shook his head and told me "You know for $300 more we could have set you up with a brand new bow. I just gave one of these away" He continued to mock and be extremely rude. I couldn't believe it. Is this the way they treat people coming back into or just entering the sport? I was absolutely furious with the way I was treated (I guess you had to be there to know how I felt). I was meeting my cousin to do a bit of shooting and I didn't exactly want to cause a scene so I figured I'd just buy my arrows and move on. After my arrows were cut, I was then handed off to individual A who was a little nicer ( I believe he was the manager). I think he realised I was being mistreated because his tone definitely changed after he could see the steam coming out of my ears. He then talked to me about my bow and some of the features it has.
I was in the store looking at some bows a few weeks before this incident and was helped by a younger fellow wearing a Hoyt shirt who was very friendly and informative. He didn't pressure me and helped me out alot by providing information on a variety of bows. Unfortunately this individual was not present on Saturday.
I realize I don't have brand new equipment but I don't think this is grounds for making a customer feel like absolute *****. This experience left a very bitter taste in my mouth and I will most likely be taking my business elsewhere where I don't get mocked or mistreated for the equipment I have. It's too bad because I really like Hoyt and they are one of the only Hoyt dealers in Edmonton that I know of.
BTW after sighting the bow in, it shot great groups and I was very satisfied. I still need lots of practice to get ready for the upcoming hunting season but I am super happy to be shooting a compound once again.

I am sure there are many of you who have had great experiences at this store but I just figured I would express my frustration in an attempt that maybe this will somehow get back to the shop so they can re-evaluate how they do business. I believe that customers should leave a store feeling good and confident but hey that's just me.
Thanks for reading.
Happy Shooting.

Last edited by Jeromeo; 03-15-2009 at 07:51 PM.