Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2015, 07:44 AM

Kurt 505, you have mentioned a couple times now that Metis have recently received hunting rights, what ruling are you referring to?

I would like to add one thing about this. In Sask when they opened up the season to include Metis, I believe it was 1994 'ish, the gong show was on. I lost alot of friends that were very vocal about the subsistence/treaty rights previously to this, who all of a sudden were Metis. I can't help but wonder exactly how much of this would go on if this was the case today.( I know it would go on, just how much, in fact maybe this is the population boom in Metis that is being reported) Everybody ask yourself and try to be honest, if you could do this, would you?
The biggest question that needs to be asked is, How much is being taken? Maybe 7%? Alot of speculation going on with extremely low facts to show this.Imo, Bob-along, Walking Buff, Smoking Joe, you guys have written very well in this area.

One last thing, is shooting a Suffield area bull really all that?? I was guiding in your province for moose a couple years ago, and one guy had a picture of a huge bull elk taken from there, no story to it,no calling season, it was the last day, drove 4 hrs down that morning, had been told where they were, drove through the pasture, shot him and drove home, and he waited along time for this?! In my books a well tricked 5x5 is a better hunt. I guess thats the difference between hunting and shooting......sorry for derail