Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Default Guide/Host Potentially Poaching North of Rocky

While out with my dad, hunting November 1, 2014 in WMU 330, we drove down a oil road that we have driven down for over 15 years only to see that someone had erected a monstrous tree stand down the pipeline. After ensuring that no one was in the stand, we walked down to check it out, as we have put countless hours in blinds and tree stands ourselves on this very pipeline. It was quite evident that the owner of the tree stand planted food, or maintained a 300-400 yard section of the pipeline with the intention of having deer eat the perfectly green grass (rare in Alberta in my 29 years of life in November). When returning to my truck, the owner of the tree stand was waiting at my truck accusing myself and my father of wrecking the ladder(s) to his stands. He refused to give me his name, refused to tell me if he was a guide/host etc. He took a picture of my license plate without my permission and basically told my dad and I not to come around that area anymore (keep in mind this is crown land). I took a picture of him and his license plate post confrontation.

My question to AO members is: Is maintaing non-farm land area with the purpose of feeding/hunting deer illegal? Will Fish and Game officers investigate this incident if/when I report it?

Thanks in advance for your advice

In order to understand the situation, the tree stand was about 25' tall, metal in nature, cables holding the tree stand upright, about 20 3" pine trees cut for camoflauge for the "torso" of the stand. The individual said he had another 6 stands like this in the area.

Last edited by Reams26; 11-06-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Tags
fish and wildlife, guide, poacher, question